136 replies to this topic

#121 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

I've cut some of the most recent posts which were getting a little heated. Please keep this thread for messages of condolence and memories of Keith. If you wish to discuss particular aspects and views on Keith's work, there's plenty of space elsewhere on the forums. Thank you. - PoC

#122 supernaturalist

supernaturalist

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

Been away from the site for a week or so. Have fond memories of playing through Fungi From Yuggoth and Spawn of Azathoth, and recently read through Spawn just for the pleasure of it.

Michael
I can fly, I will scream, I will break my arm
I will do me harm
Here I stand, foot in hand, talking to my wall
I'm not quite right at all...am I?
-David Bowie, "All the Madmen"

#123 Chimisit

Chimisit

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:57 AM

I've just read the news.

Like many here, I never met Doc face-to-face. I did, several months ago, have the pleasure of making his acquaintance via email, when I made a proposal for a scenario for the Outer Gods book. I cannot begin to tell you how much of a blast it was bouncing ideas off of one another or how exciting every "what if" was.

#124 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

He got a nod from a blog on Wired's Geek Dad Blog:

http://blog.wired.co...thulhu-rpg.html

#125 Armitage

Armitage

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:07 PM

Losing a spouse is tough. Tom, please share this site with Sharon.
http://widownet.org/wnbb2/index.php Thanks.

#126 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

Losing a spouse is tough. Tom, please share this site with Sharon.
http://widownet.org/wnbb2/index.php Thanks.

Thank you...I will. That's very kind of you.
Tom Lynch
President & Managing Editor
Miskatonic River Press

#127 alexander1968

alexander1968

Master

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

I'm really, really saddened in knowing that another great game author has left us. I have many fond memories of Call of Cthulhu and some of the best are linked to Herber's work. One of the most recente works of him, Arkham Unveiled, was translated into Italian in 2008. Sigh... :( :( :(

#128 jasonw1239

jasonw1239

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB Canada

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

Is that you Ciro?

Jason Williams

Jason Williams

Author of Secrets of Tibet & scenario author in Tales of the Caribbean from GGP

#129 Azzy

Azzy

Neophyte

• 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:42 PM

I read the news a few minutes ago, and I'm stunned. I met the man several times, and I have a story to share.

Back in 2003 when Yog-Sothoth posted their interview with Doc, I learned he was moving to Lakeland, Florida. That's where I live. I posted a hesitant message that if he found himself needing an extra hand once he arrived, he should give me a call.

One day, to my surprise, he called. He had taken over his father's place and he and Sharon were getting settled. He needed an extra hand moving a bit of furniture, and I was only happy to oblige.

After, the three of us sat and chatted on his screened porch. He knew I was (and still am) an aspiring author, and offered me sage advice. He told me how he got into it, the early days of Chaosium, the people he met. And he talked about his music quite a bit. And I learned that this little retirement community he lived in (he and Sharon were the youngest there--something he seemed to really get a kick out of, and he said, they had the best lot in the whole place; I agreed) was his idea of heaven. I don't know for sure, but I hope he felt that way in the years following.

At one point he excused himself and returned shortly with a copy of Keeper's Compendium. He had signed it, thanking me for my help. I told him that it wasn't necessary, that the opportunity to sit and chat was more than I had expected. Nonsense, he told me.

A bit later, he excused himself to the restroom. I told Sharon that his kindness really wasn't necessary. She smiled and her voice went to a whisper. "Are you kidding," she smiled. "Don't let him fool you. He loves it."

On another day, we shared a meal, shared stories. But a divorce on my end put me out of touch with Doc and Sharon, and soon too much time had passed. I felt awkward contacting them again. I regret that now. But his advice has stayed with me, and I continue to write, and I think of the things he told me often.

I think it's a nice story, and even though the thread seems to have waned, I wanted to share it with others.

Some of you know or talk to Sharon, and if she's still here in Lakeland and she needs a helping hand, I'm a scant 10 minutes away. Sometimes it helps to know that there's someone close by that can help. She can contact me at michaelpatrickphelps at gmail.com.

#130 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:01 AM

Some of you know or talk to Sharon, and if she's still here in Lakeland and she needs a helping hand, I'm a scant 10 minutes away. Sometimes it helps to know that there's someone close by that can help. She can contact me at michaelpatrickphelps at gmail.com.

Yeah...it caught us all off guard, to say the least.

Yes, Sharon is still in Lakeland, still in the house by the lake, still feeding the birds and the occasional alligator (I saw one of them when I went down to visit...yikes).

I'll email you...
Tom Lynch
President & Managing Editor
Miskatonic River Press

#131 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Christian Grussi, the head of the fantastic editions Sans Detour, who publish those exquisite books in French, has agreed to my proposal to front the new French edition of Spawn of Azatoth with a small preface remembering Keith Herber, his life and work. If you have good photos of Keith, please post them here or send them to me via PM. If you have things that you think should be said about Keith, I'll bear witness.
Call me Ishmael ;-)
christian lehmann

#132 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

A wonderful idea. Bless you, Christian (x2).

#133 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

I have written that "obituary-preface" and once again appeal to you for a good photo of Doc, if anybody can point me on the internet to one. thanks
christian lehmann

#134 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

I have written that "obituary-preface" and once again appeal to you for a good photo of Doc, if anybody can point me on the internet to one. thanks
christian lehmann

#135 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

The new revised and augmented French edition of SPAWN OF AZATOTH: "LE REJETON D'AZATOTH" is dedicated to the memory of Lynn Willis AND contains a full-page preface which I wrote as an obituary and a celebration of Keith "Doc" Herber. Please ( those who can) pass this news to Sharon, thank you.preface-herber.jpg

Edited by christian, 24 September 2013 - 10:05 AM.

christian lehmann

#136 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

Wonderful, Christian. Any chance we could see an english translation, for those of us who are French-impaired? :)

-=b

Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#137 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

I could try to do a google translate, but can't say what the end result will look like...

You asked for it   ;-)

Keith "Doc" Herber

Many scenarios and campaigns from the Golden Age of "The Call of Cthulhu " begins with the announcement of the death of an old uncle, or a friend long lost. Without revealing the many meanders, "The offspring of Azatoth " is no exception to this rule , even if the author quickly overcomes the codes of practice to create an adventure that defies genre classification . If the monsters abound, to play a " pulp " mode, the entire campaign uses themes of great darkness itself Lovecraftian and forges links between the world we know and the World of Dreams.
Many scenarios and campaigns begin with the announcement of the death of a friend long lost sight of , and this preface , alas , is no exception to this rule.

Keith Herber was for nearly thirty years a pillar of "The Call of Cthulhu ." Gifted, uncompromising, iconoclastic , he printed his mark on the role play inspired by the world of Lovecraft , and inspired by his example and friendship of many younger writers today after him carry the torch .

Born in 1949 in Detroit, Michigan , Keith Herber read four years his first book "All About Dinosaurs " and became a " geek monsters " at a time when it was not as common today. At the age of ten years , having seen the films Harry Harryhausen , he turned in his parents' basement in animation with its collection of dinosaurs. His encounter with Lovecraft , he owes to another smuggler, Ray Bradbury, which mentions a new " Pillar of Fire" , the name of the hermit of Providence, associated with that of the author of "The Raven ." " Poe and Lovecraft ." The strange name of this unknown author then struck the boy, who quickly devoured in the municipal library books from the original edition of Arkham House.

Keith has little interest in his studies, much to his reading, eclectic as that of any self Poe , Bradbury, Lovecraft , Steinbeck, Dostoyevsky , Hemingway ...

He nearly all trades , auto mechanic , bass blues and rock , taxi -driver . Around the age of thirty, he discovered Dungeons and Dragons, but resisted several years "The Call of Cthulhu " , considering ( wrongly) that no game system could capture " That Lovecraft horror feel ." But once he had spent 20 dollars to buy the basics , it was no longer possible to go back. Keith began writing screenplays and campaigns that Chaosium published : "The Fungi of Yuggoth ", "The offspring of Azatoth ", " The trace of Tsathogghua " then after an interval of a few years where the financial difficulties of Chaosium him away , came at the request of Lynn Willis, a major publisher has now disappeared , and launched the series " land of Lovecraft " publishing unforgettable supplements Arkham , Dunwich, Kingsport, Innsmouth . It also set off a collection of collections of short stories located in the Lovecraftian universe, before working for White Wolf ( Vampire the Masquerade ) , then publish " Worlds of Cthulhu " and finally start his own publishing house " Miskatonic River Press , "which published several high quality supplements including" new tales of the Miskatonic Valley . "

The news of his sudden death at age sixty , Friday, March 13, 2009 , devastated the Lovecraftian gaming community , as over the years he had forged friendships with a large number of fans , famous or less famous authors .

Keith "Doc" Herber was an exceptional human being , who had formed his own, and whose vision of the world was strange , far away from that format the universities. Opposed to the politically correct , accustomed to the rigors of a life that had not always been easy , he wrote his campaigns with the care that a writer brings to his novels. None of his secondary characters is a secondary character , which is the mark of a humanist and a great writer. And "bad guys" have a thickness and ambiguity that remains long in mind.

Keith would have been delighted to see this new version of " Spawn of Azatoth " published in France . He loved France , and sitting on the terrace of a cafe , a small black and croissant on the table before him , his eternal screwed beret on his head, he looked more like a painter than a thirties tourist. Somewhere in the World of Dreams, we meet at the terrace .

Christian Lehmann

christian lehmann