• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#21 Franko

Franko

Master

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:09 PM

What a talent! He will be missed. Very much so.

#22 allicorn

allicorn

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 839 posts
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

A very tragic loss :-(

@AllicornUK ::: www.allicorn.com ::: Listen to the whole At the Mountains of Madness album on Bandcamp

#23 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,406 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:32 PM

I just read this, I can hardly believe it, we only just interviewed Doc in the last Yog Radio. He will be sorely missed. Our condolences to his family.

I know people have more immediate things to deal with right now, but I hope that MRP manages to carry on in some form, it would be nice to think of that continuance with what Doc started.

Sad news indeed.

Paul

#24 AdamAstonbury

AdamAstonbury

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:47 PM

Sad, sad news indeed - RIP Keith.

I know that I won't be alone in believing that his work - particularly on the Lovecraft Country books - did much to enhance the reputation of the Call of Cthulhu game....

#25 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:55 PM

My best wishes go out to his family and friends.

The role-playing community lost a true friend today.

Current projects: Time of Troubles | The Caliphate Caper

#26 Black-Seal-Editor

Black-Seal-Editor

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

I'm shocked at this sudden and unexpected news.

I worked with Doc on the first few issues of WOC, where he was the guiding force to make the magazine what it is today. We kept in contact after he left WOC.

The CoC family has lost one of its major luminaries today, and my condolences go to Doc's family.
Adam Crossingham
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief
Sixtystone Press Limited

#27 Constantine

Constantine

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:39 AM

I am sorry, my condolences to Keith's family and friends.

RIP

#28 David_Conyers

David_Conyers

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

This is sad news indeed. The Fungi from Yuggoth was the first Call of Cthulhu gaming book I read and then ran as a keeper. It blew me away and I suppose got me into writing for the game.

Charlie Krank and I today decided that Cthulhu's Dark Cults would be dedicated to his memory, particularly since many of the cults appearing in the book were his creations to begin with.

David Conyers | http://www.david-conyers.com.

#29 sda

sda

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe House of Secrets

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

I just received this news from Kevin Ross and I am left near-speechless. I've known Doc for many, MANY years, and have many fond memories and fun stories of conventiones together and visiting with him at his home and at the Chaosium offices in California, of long letters and phone calls exchanged in the dark pre-e-mail days. We didn't always agree... and were both bullheaded... but he was always an inspiration and a friend. My heart goes out to Keith's beautiful wife, Sharon and their son Erik. He will be deeply missed by friends and fans alike.
Scott David Aniolowski, Master of the Malleus Monstrorum

#30 JeffOkamoto

JeffOkamoto

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:14 AM

Mega-saddenz. My deepest condolences to Keith's family.

#31 Donnovan_Sunrider

Donnovan_Sunrider

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:41 AM

I'm deeply saddened to hear this.
My condolences to his family and friends.

When we get a fund set up, I'm in.

Farewell Doc. You'll be remembered.

#32 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:53 AM

I never met Keith Herber. I spoke with him just a handful of times. We traded some e-mailed. I worked with him on a single project. We got along well. He liked my work and I deeply admired his. I looked forward to working with him in the coming years and knew that with his help I could become much better at what I do. He was willing to help, to teach, to share. I was going to meet him face to face in the next few week at I-con, a convention here in New York I do every year. We were going to play Call of Cthulhu together, have a drink or two (or more) and maybe play Arkham Horror (which I hear he loved). I was going to be behind the keeper screen, running a game with the man who wrote some of my favorate Call of Cthulhu RPG books and scenarios. All that’s gone now.

Tom and I always said that being part of MRP was like growing up listening to stories about your favorite pirate and then one day ending up serving with him on his new ship. This was a dream come true for us.

In New Tales of the Miskatonic Valley I have a scenario called “Spirit of Industry”. It wasn’t supposed to be in the book, I already had a scenario in it. When I started working with Doc I got inspired to do a Dunwich scenario because I so loved the book. I threw one together and sent it to him, in a total fan boy move. He liked it and surprised me by adding it to New Tales, with only a handful of polishing. I just wanted to see if he’d like it, I just wanted to try and impress an author I admired. I have a short story in “Cthulhu’s Dark Cults”. It’s set in Dunwich, the cult I chose to write about is the Believers. Now that book is being dedicated to his memory. What can you say? There are no words to do the anguish justice.

In this game we always talk about “A good death”. It’s a horror game, a lethal one. Keith “Doc” Herber was a horror writer, who died suddenly on a Friday the 13th, leaving the world wanting more. Now, that’s style.

Good-bye Doc. We’re going to try to pick up the flag and carry on. We’ll do our best to make you proud.

Oscar Rios

#33 KRoss

KRoss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:46 AM

I lost one of my oldest friends today.
I lost my mentor today.
I lost my crazy uncle today.
I lost my older brother today, the one who looked out for me, the one who picked me up off the ground, but wasn't afraid to throw me back down there if he thought I needed it.
I lost a verbal sparring partner today. He used to beat the crap out of me in the old days, but I think I had his number lately. Though he'd never admit it.

Call of Cthulhu lost its heart and a good part of its soul today.
CoC fans lost the game's best writer today.

But mostly, I lost one of my oldest friends today.

Doc, wherever you are, I miss you already, hoss.

My deepest condolences to Sharon and Erik and the family.

Kevin Ross

#34 GFS

GFS

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:26 AM

I'm shocked and saddened to learn of Doc's passing.

Samuel Johnson said It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. And Doc lived. He lived for his family, his friends, his music and, once again, for Call of Cthulhu. The last email I received from Doc, in reply to the recent progress I'd made on a long-overdue scenario, bears witness to this. It was time-stamped Thursday, March 12 at 1:40 PM -- perhaps a handful of hours before he passed away:

There's some good news. You've been awfully quiet lately. :-)

And Chaosium's finally getting Terrors from Beyond out. Congratulations.

Not a word about himself. Sail on, Doc.

#35 DarkDesigns

DarkDesigns

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:50 AM

We've all lost a great inspiration and friend this day.

I'm at a loss for words.
Mike Dukes

#36 darryll

darryll

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:56 AM

Absolutely shocking news. I am deeply saddened.
Keith Herber wrote, to my mind, the greatest roleplaying book ever; HP Lovecraft's Arkham. As I read it I could feel the town of Arkham expanding and taking up real estate in my mind. Forevermore, strolling those shadow haunted streets, I shall remember and honor you, Doc.

p.s. I would also like to contribute to a fundable for Doc's family.
"Have with you, at all times, iron that cuts, polished silver, a sprig of mistletoe, and a loaded pistol."

#37 Mograg

Mograg

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:11 AM

I just read the news and am shocked and saddened. Doc was a wonderful writer and great guy. This is such a terrible blow. My deepest condolences and sympathy go out to his family, his colleagues at Miskatonic River Press, and all of us who were lucky enough to be touched by Doc's personality and work in some way. I am very, very sad to hear this terrible news.

- Brian Courtemanche
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

#38 sglancy12

sglancy12

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:16 AM

Waitaminute!

Keith "Doc" Herber died on FRIDAY the 13th?!?! Good lord... how did I not see that?

Clearly I fumbled my Idea roll.

So... even in death, Keith Herber managed to put one past me...

Typical.
A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing

#39 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:28 AM

Doc is not dead. He lives on. His life's work and the lives of those he touched and inspired will live on forever. May his loved ones carry on with the knowledge he meant a lot to many people who never even met him.

I'm raising a toast in his honor tonight.

You're free now Doc.

Free.

#40 Mograg

Mograg

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:33 AM

I'm in if there's a fund to help the family.

- Brian C.