#1 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:32 PM

Dear Friends:

I don't even know how to start this. I'd hoped to be able to say something before the rumors started, but I was beaten to the punch.

I got a call today from Sharon Herber, Doc's wife earlier this afternoon. Keith "Doc" Herber passed away suddenly this morning. He was a friend and a mentor to me, as he was to many of you.

At this point, I don't know what this means for Miskatonic River Press, but I will keep you all posted as I figure things out.

Doc gave hundreds, if not thousands of us great joy through all the work he did with Chaosium, White Wolf, and finally with Miskatonic River Press. I know you all join me in mourning a great loss to the community as a whole, especially those of us who knew him and dealt with him personally.

Yes, he could be a cranky old bastard, but when you got right down to it, you found a good man with a good heart, willing to help out, looking to make the world a better place with the work he did and the people he touched. Personally, I think he succeeded.

We're all going to miss you, Do, some of us more than we can say.
Tom Lynch
President & Managing Editor
Miskatonic River Press

#2 jasonw1239

jasonw1239

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB Canada

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

Well stated Tom...
I never met the man but through his work I appreciated his genius...
He will be deeply missed.
My condolences to his friends and family. :(

Jason Williams

Author of Secrets of Tibet & scenario author in Tales of the Caribbean from GGP

#3 shaneivey

shaneivey

Arc Dream Publishing

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

This really sucks.

#4 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

This really sucks.

Yeah, it does, Shane.
Tom Lynch
President & Managing Editor
Miskatonic River Press

#5 Max Schreck

Max Schreck

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

I am deeply saddened by this news. My condolences go out to Keith's family and friends. I have only ever had online conversations with the man, but in these he was friendly, humouristic and very pleasant. I have a feeling that he was a man you would be proud of knowing personally. His death is a great loss to his family, his friends, his company, the CoC game, and to those who frequent this site and exchanged views with him.

A minute of silence for Keith "Doc" Herber.

Sadly and sincerely yours.
"How can I believe in a pig that talks?"

#6 Guest_squashua_*

Guest_squashua_*

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

I so just want to make a post with the word "Who?" in it on this thread because I think he'd have found that funny.*

:cry:

When you have the info, please post where we can mail condolences.

* edit: Referring to a comment about halfway down the thread on this link from last year.

#7 Dr_Locrian

Dr_Locrian

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, my condolences and best wishes to his friends and family. This is utterly horrible news :cry:

#8 N-kun

N-kun

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

My Condolences to his family and friends.

I'm sure he will be missed by everyone who ever read his work and it is great loss for us all.

N
Am I the only person who doesnt like Dr Who?

#9 RJDeepOne

RJDeepOne

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:53 PM

I join the community in expressing condolences to the family and friends of Keith Herber.

#10 csmithadair

csmithadair

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:08 PM

I was blithely reading other posts on the site when my eyes strayed to the forum posts feed and I saw the one-two sucker punch of this and the "Sad News" thread. It was with great dread that I came over here.

I only knew him slightly from our short working relationship, but I definitely enjoyed and appreciated that time. He, to me, is one of the titans of the roleplaying field and has been for many, many years. It was a humbling experience working with him, though he, of course, never made it seem like it should be.

#11 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

I am fairly new to CoC and YSDC but had already noticed that Keith was somewhat of a legend among forum members.
My condolences to his family, friends and fans. I am sure he will be dearly missed.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#12 Karloff

Karloff

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:23 PM

Damn.

Goodbye, Doc.

#13 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:26 PM

When I first saw a thread about this on Yog-Sothoth.com I thought Pookie (and the Delta Green mailing list) were the victims of a joke. I logged of for a time half expecting Doc himself to make some glib reply.

It seems so unexpected, particularly since I recently listioned to the Yog radio interview with Keith where he seemed lively and upbeat. I'm really sorry about this - he was a cool guy to talk to on the forums and I know who will be greatly missed by many.

#14 sglancy12

sglancy12

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:31 PM

I just saw this about 30 seconds ago...

I would like to take this moment to suggest that we fanboys step up to the plate and actually do something about this.

Tom, you should set up a paypal or fundable.com site where yog members can make donations to a fund to cushion the financial blow that is going to hit Mrs. Herber. Dying in America is expensive... and game writers do not make much money.

Gentlemen, we need to step up with a widows' and orphans' fund. Tom, you need to take the lead on this.
A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing

#15 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

I just saw this about 30 seconds ago...

I would like to take this moment to suggest that we fanboys step up to the plate and actually do something about this.

Tom, you should set up a paypal or fundable.com site where yog members can make donations to a fund to cushion the financial blow that is going to hit Mrs. Herber. Dying in America is expensive... and game writers do not make much money.

Gentlemen, we need to step up with a widows' and orphans' fund. Tom, you need to take the lead on this.

WinstonP and I were just talking about doing something. I would certainly be more than willing to contribute.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#16 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

I was planning to buy New Tales of the Miskatonic River Valley in memory but if theres an actuel collection I'll gladly throw a bit in.

#17 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:40 PM

Having enjoyed Doc's many thoughtful (and funny) posts on Y-SdC and just gotten to know him a bit through MRP, I am greatly saddened by this news. My heartfelt condolences to his family and close friends.

Vaya con Dios, Doc.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#18 Gallowglass

Gallowglass

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

Damn.

My sympathy to his family, friends and all at MRP.

Nick Middleton

#19 KaosDevice

KaosDevice

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:52 PM

Bad news. I always really liked his work.

#20 Agent_Bluescale

Agent_Bluescale

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

My condolances :(