Photo
- - - - -

Van Helsing?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#61 cynick

cynick

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:19 PM

As a more uselful reference, it's better than Underworld or the 2 Mummy flicks. But still a movie to rent but not buy.

At least the first Mummy film has a coherent plot and more rounded lead characters.

Finally got round to seeing it today after screening it for the past 2 weeks (too much going on to actually sit down and watch the films I'm showing sometimes :( ). All I can say is it was big, dumb fun. I wasn't expecting anything on the level of Gods & Monsters :wink:

Now that I have seen it, I can see a few potential plots for sequels. Mostly, just who exactly is Van Helsing? Dracula says VH murdered him centuries before and that he is 'the left hand of God'. Did I miss the explanation of this epithet? And VH says he remembers fighting the Romans at Masada (74AD). Was he taking the p*ss out of Karl, or was he telling the truth? He looks pretty good for a man pushing 1900 years old.

So once again, Hugh Jackman plays a man with a 'mysterious past which he can't remember'.
Coming soon: Van Helsing 2 - The origin movie?
We do not stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing - George Bernard Shaw

#62 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:29 PM

Maybe Wolverine is Van Helsing :idea:

Maybe only the 'Left Hand of God' could survive Adamantine inplantation?

How's that for a tie-in/crossover?

X-HELSING

or

Wolverine vs. Van Helsing

Sorry time to take my meds...for real.
"The die is cast"
- Julius Caesar (ultimate power gamer)

“Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
HPL

#63 cynick

cynick

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:38 PM

I thought I saw a subtle reference to Wolverine during the final fight between Dracula and the lycanthropised VH. At one point VH flexes his claws (looking a little bit silvery to me) and gouges a nearby stone pillar with them.

Or am I just reading too much into this piece of CGI fluff?
We do not stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing - George Bernard Shaw

#64 Cthulhudude

Cthulhudude

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:14 PM

Well, Cynick, I thought the same thing so I think it's more than just coincidence.
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos.
Know Nyarlathotep, know chaos.

#65 Mythos

Mythos

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:23 PM

At one point VH flexes his claws (looking a little bit silvery to me) and gouges a nearby stone pillar with them.

Or am I just reading too much into this piece of CGI fluff?

Everyone that I know feels the same way about that scene.