#21 Paradroid

Paradroid

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

I've always liked the covers to the penguin omnibus editions of Lovecraft...
for instance
http://www.amazon.co...31614219&sr=1-3

Yeah, I own these, but I don't like the garish illustration, too pulpy for my taste. As cover art goes, Manfred Escher's covers for the CoC stuff by Pegasus Spiele in Germany are the state of the art, in my opinion.

For instance this one: http://www.pegasus.d...b243ecf57c.html

#22 csmithadair

csmithadair

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

For the moment, I do not own a single one of Chaosium's fiction collections, probably because I find their covers exceptionally ugly. They are very consistant at that. To be fair, there aren't many pretty horror books at all, but I seriously think they should cough up the money for some decent cover art.

Personally, I liked the style they used for their covers originally. I understand they changed to their second style because the first was considered off-putting to potential customers.

The covers were black and text heavy (lists of the included authors) and the cover art was a small portrait (usually of the book's associated entity) against the black background. They also stopped putting the book number on the spine, which I also miss.

Oh, well, not the first time that what I like is cruelly taken away from me to please the tastes of the common rabble....

#23 Ningauble

Ningauble

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

I've always liked the covers to the penguin omnibus editions of Lovecraft...
for instance
http://www.amazon.co...31614219&sr=1-3

That's not Penguin. That's Grafton, or later (I think) Harper Collins. And I absolutely hate those covers. But the worst thing is that they are so widely spread, so that if you find a book by Lovecraft it is most likely one of these, and they're full of typos.

#24 Tigger_MK4

Tigger_MK4

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

My apologies, you're right, its Grafton in my edition.
Pulpy or not, I quite like them...
My Beyond the Mountains of Madness blog

"RULES" ARE GUIDELINES !

#25 BloatedStar

BloatedStar

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the help gang! I just finished Innsmouth Cycle on my flight home and really enjoyed the variety. I think I'll look into one or two more Cycle books and go from there. Thanks for the input on Nameless Cults, Worm, and Dead But Dreaming! They also seem right up my alley!

#26 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:27 PM

I'm reading Singer of Strange songs soon. I'll give my opnion on that if its wanted.

There is allways the Bloch Mystries of the Worm from Chaosium as well. I heard they were printing a new edition a time ago but it appears to have vanished from view.

#27 Ningauble

Ningauble

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:59 PM

Sorry about the thread necromancy.

Robert M. Price recently posted the table of contents of The Yog-Sothoth Cycle on Facebook. Still no release date, but the book is where it has been for the past 15 years (with Chaosium).

I don't think I have ever seen the complete ToC for this book before, but here it is, anyway:

Ramsey Campbell, “The Church in High Street”

Richard L. Tierney, The Winds of Zarr
Stephen Mark Rainey, “The Threshold of Beyond”
Charles Garofalo, “The Sending”
Robert Bloch, “The Ultimate Ultimatum”
Richard L. Tierney, “Lords of Pain”
A.A. Attanasio, “Glimpses”
Eric J. Miller, “The Gates of Perception”
Edward Lee, “The Deviltry of Elemental Valence”
David Langford, “Out of Space, out of Time”

#28 Taavi

Taavi

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationPnakotus, Australia

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:56 AM

It would be good to see The Winds of Zarr back in print.

"Brainstorming DG/COC things without you would be like trying to hunt badgers with a borzoi." - Panchakahq Avatar from Habitica.com. RPGamify your life today!

#29 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:00 AM

I found the Chaosium fiction books I've read so far to be entertaining enough.

But, I think the overall most rewarding "Cthulhu fiction" I've read, aside from Lovecraft's original fiction, has been in the form of collections of (generally older) fiction that Lovecraft admired or was at least partly inspired by - such as Dunsany (I would still love to see a nice Dunsany collection that includes the original Simes illustrations!), Poe, Blackwood, Machen, Hodgson, E.R. Burroughs, Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing Chaosium produce a series of books collecting the "Weirdest" of this fiction, perhaps with commentary from Lovecraft (from his letters and essays) and other writers, presenting the collections from a "Lovecraftian" perspective.

With a lot of that older fiction having fallen into the public domain, collecting it together in a nice, matching set with useful commentary from any of the vast number of Lovecraft experts/scholars willing to give their opinions would surely be a "low hanging fruit" sort of thing for a small publisher, especially one invested as heavily into the Lovecraft fandom as Chaosium is!  (At least, from my armchair, it seems like a comparatively easy and low-risk "win"....)

With that in mind, I thought Chaosium's The Terror and Other Stories (Machen), The White People and Other Stories (Machen), The Three Imposters and Other Stories (Machen), and The Yellow Sign and Other Stories (RW Chambers, a sort of "Best of" The King in Yellow, which in turn seems to be a sort of "Best of" Chambers) were quite excellent, and I'd recommend them all in a heartbeat to those who enjoy Lovecraft's fiction.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#30 Ningauble

Ningauble

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

It would be good to see The Winds of Zarr back in print.

E-mail Chaosium and tell them so. Part of Price's reason for posting this ToC (and that of The Yig Cycle) was that he wanted his FB friends to tell Chaosium that they want these books.

#31 TMS

TMS

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

I can see why they did it, since everyone who would buy a collection like that would have already read them, but I'm a little surprised that the The Yog-Sothoth Cycle doesn't include any of the Lovecraft stories in which Yog-Sothoth plays a major role, like "The Dunwich Horror" and "Through the Gates of the Silver Key."

#32 Ningauble

Ningauble

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

I can see why they did it, since everyone who would buy a collection like that would have already read them, but I'm a little surprised that the The Yog-Sothoth Cycle doesn't include any of the Lovecraft stories in which Yog-Sothoth plays a major role, like "The Dunwich Horror" and "Through the Gates of the Silver Key."

"The Dunwich Horror" was already included in The Dunwich Cycle, and "Through the Gates of the Silver Key"... well, it's certainly an unusual appearance by Yog-Sothoth.

#33 wcburns

wcburns

Master

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

I have a few of these books that I've picked up from used bookshops and online retailers, but have only sat down and read the Shub-Niggurath one.

Which I overall enjoyed, going from a couple pre-HPL goat devil stories, a Ramsey Campbell story or two, and a pleasantly fun historical pulp story by Richard L. Tierney. One of the stories by Robert M. Price genuinely made me shudder at its conclusion.

A few of the others I got include a collection of Robert Bloch stories, the Nyarlathotep Cycle, Innsmouth Cycle, and I think Disciples of Cthulhu. No opinions of them yet, other than the HPL stories I've already read in a couple of them.

#34 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationSerpent-haunted Ehssi-Keh, beside the Lake of the Mound

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

Personally, I liked the style they used for their covers originally. I understand they changed to their second style because the first was considered off-putting to potential customers.

The covers were black and text heavy (lists of the included authors) and the cover art was a small portrait (usually of the book's associated entity) against the black background. They also stopped putting the book number on the spine, which I also miss.

Oh, well, not the first time that what I like is cruelly taken away from me to please the tastes of the common rabble....

Those are my thoughts as well. The original covers were more aesthetically pleasing and classier. I was not pleased by the covers done by "Fassl". Not disturbing/spooky, often not particularly related to the contents and, sometimes, flat-out revolting.

#35 csmithadair

csmithadair

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:33 PM

Oh, ha-ha, 2009 me--"common rabble..."! I must have been in some kind of mood that day....

Christopher Smith Adair
Freelance Copyeditor & RPG Writer
csmithadair.com

#36 AkronTony

AkronTony

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationDark Valley, OH

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:42 AM

This time of the year, late fall/early winter, I like to read  "Ithaqua".