Guestbook (Introduce Yourself!)

• Please log in to reply
793 replies to this topic

#781 Oddport

Oddport

Neophyte

• 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:58 AM

Halloween in Dunwich is supposed to be a great scenario if you're playing on Halloween!

Ooooh! Thank you for the recommendation!

#782 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:51 AM

Hello, 
I am HelplessBystander, an Australian Cthulhu fan. I am both a Player and a GM for COC 6th Edition. I've been meaning to get my hands on the 7th Edition for a while now, but it is, unfortunately, outside of my price range at this particular moment in time. I can't afford it. 

Quick question: is there an official Chinese version of the rules that I could find anywhere? I don't believe I've seen a Chinese translation for COC, only TOC, as far as I can tell.

#783 ChrisFixedKitty

ChrisFixedKitty

Neophyte

• 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:56 AM

Hi, my name is Christine (Ia, Chris!), and I've been a Keeper for a little over a year. Being on the other side of the screen is a whole new adventure!

I mostly play investigative horror games at SF Bay area conventions, as my IRL gamer friends are more D&D/videogame-style rpgers. I enjoy an occasional dungeon crawl or mecha-tactical game, but investigation is really what engages me most. I also enjoy pulp-type characters in the Hollow Earth Expeditions, etc. I hope to have an excuse a reason to get Pulp Cthulhu sometime soon and combine these loves, but it hasn't happened yet.

I've tried online gaming, and it seems a mixed bag from both Keeper and Player perspectives. When my Roll20 group finishes the current WWC: London Home Front scenario, I may try contacting my neighbors on the YSDC map to meet IRL and talk about some F2F games. Whether that's an "in addition" or a replacement option, I haven't decided.

So, that's me. Hi!

#784 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:51 AM

Welcome!

#785 canus

canus

Neophyte

• 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:44 PM

Hello, My name is Terence I am a Philosophy student and work for the University and live in the Netherlands. I have read most of the short stories by Lovecraft and I hope to start a "Call of Cthulhu" game very soon as a first-time Keeper and RPG player.

--longer introduction--
In the beginning of the '90, I was introduced and played a game or two of "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" (because the Dungeon Master moved to another city). Which was my first introduction to the introduction of RPG. I once organised a game at astronomy camp at which point I knew I would like the role of Game Master.

You do need other people (and access to a proper location) in order to play a role-playing game. Life happened and a few years ago the book "A red & pleasant Land" peaked my interest again, since then I have bought (or given free PDF versions) different RPG starter booklets, texts, and books. This started my search for a system and a group.

I have finally found 2 friends who are also interested in trying out a role-playing game. Although I bought the books for D&D I finally decided it was not the kind of game I wanted to play (to begin with). I eventually bought the Books for "Call of Cthulhu" (7th) this week. Despite some technical issues, which a very friendly employee at Chaosium helpt me circumvent. I was very surprised to find out you not only receive a PDF version (the reason for me to buy from the publisher) but also an e-book version!

I am slowly reading through the e-book version of the Keepers Rulebook ( I am currently bedridden) and am thinking about the first game night with my friends (I backed a scenario on Kickstarter wich I would have liked to play on all hallows eve, but alas my group is still too small––I do hope it will grow slightly). 

In preparation for my first CoC game, this forum seems like a good place to start as a beginning Keeper (and RPG player).

#786 fluffy

fluffy

Breakfast Clubber

• Innsmouth House Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

Welcome canus, I too entered the wonderful world of role playing through D&D.

Moving on to Lovecraft was very satisfying somehow after a while as I enjoy mystery and team cooperation in my roleplaying, not to mention stress, horror, tea, cakes etc.

We are all very friendly and I think you will find much to commend the site.

Hope you are comfortable and recovering well.

Always carry a sturdy safety pin

#787 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

Welcome canus, I too entered the wonderful world of role playing through D&D.

Moving on to Lovecraft was very satisfying somehow after a while as I enjoy mystery and team cooperation in my roleplaying, not to mention stress, horror, tea, cakes etc.

We are all very friendly and I think you will find much to commend the site.

Hope you are comfortable and recovering well.

I actually entered the world of Roleplaying through COC, and are currently trying to get into D&D. ALas, the D20 rules are vastly different from the D100 rules that I'm now accustomed to. So I imagine it's going to be a slow and painful trek before I can get into running D&D as comfortably as I would a game of COC or TOC.

#788 fluffy

fluffy

Breakfast Clubber

• Innsmouth House Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

Schh! don't tell anyone but I always consider rules and dice rolling as somewhat optional extras

Always carry a sturdy safety pin

#789 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

Ohh yeah, sometimes I don't actually roll for NPC characters, I just do some rolls to mess with my PCs. It's very effective.

#790 Kren

Kren

Neophyte

• 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:04 PM

Hey ho.

Vintage RPG player from a dim and distant past. Played through quite a number of D100 systems not least of which was CoC (second edition), as well as numerous other systems and genres.

Been away from it all and on computer games for the last 20 odd years now but with the growing popularity of the medium and (for me) a fairly recent introduction to the number and variety of actual play podcasts.

it's re-awoken a bit of a hankering to get back to it and at least try and do it properly this time...

#791 sicklemoon

sicklemoon

Neophyte

• Initiate
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:46 AM

Hello!

I am a writer living in South Korea. It is also the player and Keeper of CoC 7th Edition. I came here looking for a great scenario to be with my players.

Nice to meet you all!

#792 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:09 AM

Welcome!

#793 AkronTony

AkronTony

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationDark Valley, OH

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:36 AM

Hi. My name is Tony and currently reside in Akron, OH after living in Texas for 11 years. I am a Human Resources professional by trade. I got into Lovecraft fiction while I was in college and played CoC a few times in grad school. Getting married, raising children, and starting my career put pursuing CoC on hold a tad but I did start collecting Arkham House and horror fiction during that time. Now I am getting back into CoC and having a great time. :twisted:

However, I must say raising a teenager can cost you as many sanity points as single handedly meeting Cthulhu and his minions.

Have a few years away. I am now back and looking at running some new scenarios.

Thanks to whomever attached me to my prior self. :8E:

#794 Eusebio

Eusebio

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

Hi,

My name is Bart and I'm living in Mechelen, Belgium. 

I started roleplaying about a quarter of a century ago now (sounds so much better than saying 25 years) and I have been playing Call of Cthulhu since the 5th edition rules.

I've been both a player and a Keeper ever since, for both classical tabletop as well as LARP-events. 

I've also played many other games and systems, but CoC always stayed my go-to staple.