• Please log in to reply
793 replies to this topic

#21 wendiigo

wendiigo

Master

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 03:09 AM

Hello, I'm Karl, 28 years old, and a newbie here. I've been gaming since the age of 10 (AD&D 1st ed.) and it's been downhill ever since :twisted:

I got into CoC a few years ago thanks to some friends up in Vermont (where I lived for 8 years) and have been having such fun. Currently, I reside in Northeastern Pennsylvania, with my wife and 4 cats, who also enjoy CoC - my wife, not the cats.

As for other game systems played, I've done D&D, AD&D, Star Frontiers (remember that one?), Star Wars, CoC pre-d20, Shadowrun, Deadlands (Wasted & Weird West), and too many White Wolf games (V:TM, W:TA, MET).

I read a lot, mostly sci-fi/fantasy/horror and true crime stuff, in addition to oodles of gaming supplements.

I do tech support for a triple threat company (cable/phone/cable modem) and wish I could get paid for sleeping or gaming - preferably both, but not at the same time.

Glad to be here!

#22 The_Crawling_Chaos

The_Crawling_Chaos

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 05:36 PM

Hello, I'm Patrick Dooley. I'm 15 and live in Galesburg Illinois. I'm a newbie to the boards, but not to gaming.

I've been gaming for around 5 years, my main games have been BESM, CoC, D&D and a little Tri-Stat for dessert. I've been a player and a GM equally, but I think I like GMing more in CoC games. Call me power hungry, or lucky I don't have to face the monsters I use for my games.

I was introduced to Lovecraft four years ago when a friend of mine told me that there was a game where there wasn't really any good way to win. I became entrigued and bought the d100 CoC core rulebook soon after. Then I bought the Keeper's Campanion a little bit after so I could imrpove my game.

My favorite authors are Lovecraft (what a surprise) and Douglas Adams, but I like to read almost any genre. I'm a student, but my main direction in life is computers.

This is a great site and I'm glad to be a part of it. Woo.

#23 darkgoat

darkgoat

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:47 PM

Hi I'm David,
Started roleplaying when I was 13 (22 years ago... sheesh!!)and discovered Cthulhu (2nd ed.) about a year later. What can I say, other systems have come and gone but I just can't seem to shake Lovecraft and CoC (as my wife and my ever expanding game shelves will testify. Used to play loads whilst I lived in Glasgow but since moving to England 12 years ago I've so far failed to hook up with another group (I decided to make monsters and spaceships for a living and moved to London to work amongst the'glamour' of the film industry). Actually I'd love to get started again instead of just merely reading sourcebooks for my Cthulhu kicks!! So if anyone in the Buckinghamshire area of the UK is in need of players... I'm sure my wife would be delighted to get me out of the house for a bit!!

#24 Nyarlathotep42

Nyarlathotep42

Master

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:01 PM

Greetings Comrade Keepers! I, as no doubt many of you, never get to play CoC, because no one else wants to fill their head with all the mad knowledge a keeper needs. I have retaliated against my friends by making their latest catch pharse "Roll for Sanity". I love the sound of that phrase... :twisted: Mwah-ha-ha!
Yog-Sothoth save me! - THE THREE LOBED BURNING EYE!

#25 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 15 January 2004 - 08:19 PM

Actually I'd love to get started again instead of just merely reading sourcebooks for my Cthulhu kicks!! So if anyone in the Buckinghamshire area of the UK is in need of players... I'm sure my wife would be delighted to get me out of the house for a bit!!

Hi David,

Feel free to try out our Players' Directory at:

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/players/

Giles is in that area - and if you add your details, others may find you (if you want them to :)).

Paul

#26 rwhorowitz

rwhorowitz

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:42 AM

Hi, I'm Robert. I grew up in New York but currently live in Maine (not a scary part though). I played D&D in college. I really liked Lovecraft. My favorite story was The Colour Out of Space. I only got to run a scenario only once but the game left its mark on me. I am currently trying to write some short scenarios. If I can, I will make them available in the download section.

#27 Gazala

Gazala

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 12:57 PM

Hi I'm Andrea (it's a male name in Italy) and I'm from Milan in the North of our land.

I started roleplaying when I was 17 in the 1987 and never stopped since then.
First it was D&D then I fell in love with CoC and Lovecraft's writings.

My love for CoC was helped by the fact that a good transalation of CoC was made during the early 90' and the game got a certain degree of popularity even among non english speaking players.
Nowadays the game is no longer supported ( years of silence a part a Innsmouth sourcebook) nevertheless is still the 2nd most popular RPG in our country and still loved by many people.

I' m basically a master and I really enjoy stretching CoC to the limits ( detective stories, adventures set in the Italian post-war, steampunk, etc.)

Now that i've found this forum i hope to exchange ideas and all the weird debates with all the players online.
Ciao

PS During the 1999 I visited the Brown university and I got the chance of reading the Xerox of the original manuscript of Herbert West Reanimator and From Beyond (my favorite story). If you live in the USA you must take a look at that manuscripts.

I'm mainly a Master because I really like

#28 ThomasMunkholt

ThomasMunkholt

Neophyte

• 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:28 AM

Hello people,

just a short introduction:

CoC was one of the first RPGs that really rocked me and made me realise the medium's potential for telling stories. I have since written several scenarios for conventions, some of them rather well received (if I may say so). And it's time to write something Cthulhoid - I plan on doing something based in London mod culture anno 1967, mixing in a bit of Gran Morrison's Invisibles, A Clockwork Orange and plenty of drugs.

I live in Copenhagen, Denmark working as a project manager. Coffee, comics, writing and movies are some of my main interests.

/thomas

#29 Innominandum

Innominandum

Master

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 12:09 PM

Hello. I just signed up and I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a gamer from Amsterdam, the Netherlands and I'll be running a Call of Cthulhu campaign soon. While my passion lies with Shadowrun, originally, I have always loved Call of Cthulhu very much, and I hope to glean some info, tips and tricks off of the boards here before I try my hand at Call of Cthulhu.

#30 Cthulhudude

Cthulhudude

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 04:39 PM

Well, I just found this thread (good observation skills, no?) so I’m a bit late.

Hi, my name is Brian Sammons. I’m 30 and live in West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA. I work as a quality inspector for GM. I’ve been gaming (mostly GM-ing) since I was 14. Most of the early years of that was D&D (which was the first game I ran) but I’ve logged a fair amount of time with CoC and a handful of other games.

I am a horror nut. I love horror fiction and films, Mythos related or not. Well hell, I basically like most genres except for romantic comedies (too sappy for me) and musicals but horror was my first true love and remains my favorite.

I am a part-time writer who has written a few things for CoC and some odds and ends for various non-CoC interests in both the printed media and the ‘net. My current goal is to focus more of my writing efforts on straight up fiction and see where that takes me.

Er, running out of things to say…

Favorite music: heavy metal.
Favorite ice cream flavor: mint & chocolate chip.
Favorite TV show: anything by Joss Wheldon.
Favorite comic book: Preacher.
Favorite movie: too many good ones to choose.
Favorite book/author: see above answer.
Coke or Pepsi: I’m a Coke man.
‘Inie’ or ‘outie’: I’m an ‘inie’
Hair: light brown and unlike most of my friends I still got a full head of it. 8)
Eyes: hazel.

Well, I guess that about does it. See ya all in the asylum.
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos.
Know Nyarlathotep, know chaos.

#31 Spinning_Grave

Spinning_Grave

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:59 PM

Noticed this after I already made my "Hi" post. Oops.

#32 Herne_the_hunter

Herne_the_hunter

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:37 PM

Hi all. This is the 3rd Mythos forum I've joined so some of you may recognise my nickname. I don't play any of the CoC RPGs, but I'm a huge fan of mythos literature so expect to see me posting in the "Anything else" forum.

My favourite story is The Colour Out of Space, my favourite Old One is Nyarlathotep, and I'm very interested in the concept of the mythos in a cyberpunk, gothic future kind of world, which me and a member of one of my other forums are currently in talks to produce a project on.

#33 Rev_Danno

Rev_Danno

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA, USA

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:38 AM

Hello, my name is Rev. Daniel B. Spitzer II

Hometown: Portland, Or
Other places I've lived: All around the NW of the USA, Arizona, Iceland

Started reading HPL in grade school because of an Episode of 'the Real Ghostbusters'. Looked up HPL in the card catalogs in the public Library.
Started Playing RPGs about 6 months later (D&D, T&T, Gamma World, and some really horrid Avolon Hill games). Didn't even Find out about CoC until a few years later when I was looking to see what else was in my favorite Comic book store besides TMNT comics, AD&D books, and back issues of Heavy Metal (get off my back it was... I was 12, it was '89)...

Interests: printmaking, bicycling, writing, cooking, books, & homebrewing.

Favorite Books: Red Dragon, Inferno, Tropic of Cancer, Choke, Rant, Stranger in a strange land, Generation of Swine. Naked Lunch, World War Z, Zombie Survival guide, the Art of War, my Tank is Fight!

Favorite Music: Right now... Goblin, Air, the soundtrack for La Planète sauvage, The Virgin Suicides soundtrack, Ween, The Bird & the Bee, Stereolab, Daft Punk, Brian Eno, Belle & Sebastian, Beck, Black keys

Favorite TV Shows: Connections with James Burke, Good Eats, Curb, Arrested Development, Lupin III, Johnny Quest, Lost, the Office, Tim & Eric, Tom goes to the Mayor, Spaced, Black Books, Moral Orel

Favorite Movies: Empire Strikes Back, Night of the Living Dead, Castle of Cagliostro, Wes Anderson films, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Cane Toads, the King of kong

Favorite Quotations:
MANIFESTO OF FUTURISM

1. We want to sing the love of danger, the habit of energy and rashness.
2. The essential elements of our poetry will be courage, audacity and revolt.
3. Literature has up to now magnified pensive immobility, ecstasy and slumber. We want to exalt movements of aggression, feverish sleeplessness, the double march, the perilous leap, the slap and the blow with the fist.
4. We declare that the splendor of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing automobile with its bonnet adorned with great tubes like serpents with explosive breath ... a roaring motor car which seems to run on machine-gun fire, is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.
5. We want to sing the man at the wheel, the ideal axis of which crosses the earth, itself hurled along its orbit.
6. The poet must spend himself with warmth, glamour and prodigality to increase the enthusiastic fervor of the primordial elements.
7. Beauty exists only in struggle. There is no masterpiece that has not an aggressive character. Poetry must be a violent assault on the forces of the unknown, to force them to bow before man.
8. We are on the extreme promontory of the centuries! What is the use of looking behind at the moment when we must open the mysterious shutters of the impossible? Time and Space died yesterday. We are already living in the absolute, since we have already created eternal, omnipresent speed.
9. (I do not agree w/ F.T.Marinetti on this one)
10. (I do not agree w/ F.T.Marinetti on this one)
11. We will sing of the great crowds agitated by work, pleasure and revolt; the multi-colored and polyphonic surf of revolutions in modern capitals: the nocturnal vibration of the arsenals and the workshops beneath their violent electric moons: the gluttonous railway stations devouring smoking serpents; factories suspended from the clouds by the thread of their smoke; bridges with the leap of gymnasts flung across the diabolic cutlery of sunny rivers: adventurous steamers sniffing the horizon; great-breasted locomotives, puffing on the rails like enormous steel horses with long tubes for bridle, and the gliding flight of aeroplanes whose propeller sounds like the flapping of a flag and the applause of enthusiastic crowds.

About Me: I am currently focused on printmaking, brewing, and other such hobbies at this time. I enjoy cooking, and wine but I no longer wish to do either for a living.

[EDIT: I just looked at this, and fixed all my typos, and edited all the stuff that I liked when I was younger, and stupid]
PGttCM.COM A Podcast that follows the literary timeline of the Cthulhu Mythos from the big bang, to the cooling of our sun.

#34 Kadathian

Kadathian

Master

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:23 PM

Hi my name is Jon, age 32, I live and work in Nottingham UK and im a freelance digital artist, amongst other things, for my sins.

Been a huge fan of Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu RPG for a long time.

Currently hoping to finish my latest project and create a scenario/campaign for a a new group playing call of cthulhu.

This site is excellent!:)

#35 Meeper

Meeper

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:40 AM

Hullo there. I've at last registered, after lurking on the website for a fair old time (on and off). :D

My name is Steve, and I think I first found my way here from the (defunct?) WoTC D20 CoC forum ( 8O ), after following the link in one of Paul's postings. I've never actually played the D20 version, but I used to hang around the WoTC forums as they were well visited.

I started playing RP games way back in the mists of time, when I was about 16 I think. I'm now 36, and unfortunately haven't played a face-to-face RP for a number of years. In fact, I think my last gaming 'session' was a short lived game I was Keeper for over IRC, a few years ago.

I'm from the UK, Warwickshire area to narrow it down a little more. It would be great to find some people I could hook up with for some CoC game/s, either in the real world or over the net.

#36 Songlian

Songlian

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 04:44 PM

Ahoy out there all :)

My name's Freya, I'm nineteen going twenty and from the UK, from Sheffield to be exact. I play Call of Cthulhu D20, in a five-player group which passes who does the GMing between three of us. Incidentally, of said five players, four of us are female, which I gather from other gamers I've spoken to is a little unusual. ^.^;

I got into roleplaying-type-stuff via reading/playing the Fighting Fantasy books with my best friend when I was seven, from their found my way into Games Workshop, spent an awful lot of time painting lots of miniatures rather badly, then found my way online and discovered the joy that is online freeform roleplaying ("I hit you with my spell"... "No you don't, I dodge"... "Okay, I hit you with my spell which cannot be dodged"... "I dodge that too, and kill you. Hahahaha"... ad nauseam). In the desperate shrieking need for some form of rules I bought a bunch of D&D and World of Darkness books from some website or other, and pestered my friends into forming a gaming group with me. Started off D&D, lost half the players when we left school, lost interest shortly afterwards and reformed it as a Cthulhu group last year.

Random other information: I work in a sandwich shop, which is a hell of a way to spend a gap year may I add; I'm going to Durham Uni. this year to start a Psychology/Philosophy degree; I am probably a total loser; I own more Cthulhu plushies and notebooks than can possibly be healthy; I like vanilla vodka more than is remotely natural; my blood type is B positive, which I find unreasonably funny; and I'm going to shut up now.

There. More info than you could possible want, hurrah. :D

#37 Lord_Sin

Lord_Sin

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:40 AM

I'm Devin Ellenwood, currently of Escondido, CA, but soon to be of Lake Havasu City, AZ. I'm a 36 year old unemployed computer graphics artist. I'm married to a wonderful woman, Dana, and I have two daughters, Fionna and Fae. I've been playing various RPGs since the 7th grade, having started with AD&D. I've been looking forward to running CoC, and this site has been a real blessing from the Old Ones. BTW, Lord Sin is actually short for Lord Brian Sinjin, my persona in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
-Sin

Ipsa qvidem pretivm errorem sibi - Sin is its own reward

#38 thor

thor

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:51 AM

Hello fellow forum goers! Age- 12 years old Occupation- Seventh grader (when summer is over at least) Favorite Mythos deity- Nyarlathotep, haunter of the dark mask Favorite Mythos creature- deep ones favorite books- tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, Dune, Chapterhouse: Dune, God Emperor of Dune, and The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath novellete Favorite video game- Half-Life

#39 desertraven

desertraven

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:37 PM

Hello all! My name is Dave, I reside here in Beautiful Naperville Illinois...that's just outside the confines of Chicago. I'm 38, and I've been gaming for at least 25 years. Cthulhu is relatively new to me, though I've known about the game and world for quite some time, I have just started learning to play.

I like both BRP and d20, I just like to play.

I love to read as much as possible, and someday I hope to publish something. But, for now, I'm content to just pass the time doing what I do, and stay out of the cultists way. :)

D-R

#40 The_Father_of_knives

The_Father_of_knives

Neophyte

• 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:55 AM

Hi all.

Im Peter. Im a 22 year old cthulhu-fanatic from Sweden. I've been checking this site out a couple of times for some recources for my sessions of Cthulhu-gaming, so i decided to join, early this morning (around 5 am in Sweden) where i still have left to sleep. :roll:

Im not really a conventional Cthulhu game-master or player. I dont have many books, i only bought the D20 from Wizards but i quickly understood that it wont work to play Cthulhu-horror in the D20 system. So me and my friends deviced our own system with rules from here and there, and now we play it just the way we need it to get the best out of it. :D

Anyway. So i get most of my material from reading all kinds of tales from the mythos, such as HPL himself, Ashton Smith, Bloch, E Howard and Derleth. Out of all these, i think Derleth is my favourite writer next to the unbeatable HPL himself.

HPL's : "At the mountains of madness" scared me half out of my wits, and so did Derleth's "Dweller in Darkness"

But my favourite story of all, i think, are the dreamland stories of Randolph Carter.

My favourite beings, i belive, are:

Cthulhu, for being almost the spokesman of Lovecraftian horror.

Hastur, for being the scariest of the gods and the aesthetic parts of him. (The Yellow Sign, The King in Yellow and such)

Tsat-Hoggua, for the shear repulsivenes of his cult, and my recently developed phobia for toads. :wink:

Guess thats all. Got a bit long, im kinda bored so i decided to put some effort in my guestbook sign-in.

I'll be checking these forums for good info and tips on the roleplaying-side of my fanaticism for the Cthulhu-Mythos.