793 replies to this topic

#1 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 07 August 2003 - 08:03 PM

Feel free to use this thread as a guestbook, or just to say hello & who you are!

Paul

#2 Bill_Adcock

Bill_Adcock

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 10:51 PM

Hi! I'm Bill, I play CoC D20, I GM and my PCs are dealing with a twisted Buddhist sect devoted to Azathoth, hailing Him as the ultimate Nirvana and to get closer to Him put out their own eyes with a hot poker.

It's 6:51 PM EST; Do you know where your PCs are?

#3 Eero

Eero

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 06:32 AM

Hello. My name is Eero Eloranta. I used to have a short description of my educational goals here, but they changed so much that I just say that I am a student. I usually don't play anything else than COC. I enjoy literature, music and all art in general. I'm very much into sports nowadays. Not watching it but doing it myself. As a kid I always wanted to be a physicist, but it hasn't been my goal any longer. Now I'm interrested in economy and society rather than natural sciences. They still continue to fascinate me, but not as much as before.

#4 AkronTony

AkronTony

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationDark Valley, OH

Posted 10 September 2003 - 03:08 PM

Hi. My name is Tony and currently reside in Akron, OH after living in Texas for 11 years. I am a Human Resources professional by trade. I got into Lovecraft fiction while I was in college and played CoC a few times in grad school. Getting married, raising children, and starting my career put pursuing CoC on hold a tad but I did start collecting Arkham House and horror fiction during that time. Now I am getting back into CoC and having a great time. :twisted:

However, I must say raising a teenager can cost you as many sanity points as single handedly meeting Cthulhu and his minions.

#5 MrFilthyIke

MrFilthyIke

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 05:59 PM

Hello!

I am Shane Murphy, born in Miami and raised in Florida (not very
Lovecraftian, but VERY strange in a World Weekly News sort of
way). I grew up in Miami, attended the University of Central
Florida in Orlando ('94-'99) and got a degree in Anthropology.

Due to money, I haven't continued yet, but maintain an interest
in the world around me, and the strange things that go on in it.

That's why I was drawn to 'Thulhu.

A friend introduced me in '92, and through his storytelling genius
and ability to actually MAKE props (like stone tablets and body
parts...hey, he was a art major), I was hooked, devoured every
story, and started gaming in CoC.

I haven't played much lately, but still re-read the books or listen
to an audio version of the Dunwich Horror I pirated from a library.

But, that's the long-winded Story of Me. :D

#6 cynick

cynick

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 11:53 AM

Hi there, I'm Nick, and this is my first post anywhere on the net 8O

I've been roleplaying since I got the red box Basic D&D set for my birthday waaaay back in 1984 (starting to feel old now). My interest in gaming has mutated into collecting rather than playing in recent years. However, I have recently rediscovered CoC and my enthusiasm is coming back.
Unfortunately my job (I'm a projectionist at the local cinema) makes it difficult to get into a regular game, so I only really play at the few UK conventions I can make it to.
We do not stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing - George Bernard Shaw

#7 cjbowser

cjbowser

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 03:43 PM

Hi, I'm Chad. A Systems Analyst by profession, Archaeologist by education, I live in Central Ohio. I've played Cthulhu since '93 and am currently doing my best to scare the daylights out of some players with the Nocturnum campaign.

#8 GHill

GHill

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 10:11 AM

Hi I'm Giles

35, a Web site developer, living in Buckinhamshire in the South East UK. We play BRP CoC fairly regulalry (Anywhere from once a week to once a month). Our campaigns have so far tended to be either Delta Green or Dark Ages.

I'm looking to head to at least one convention this year, although I havent decided which yet.

#9 phraktalsnipe

phraktalsnipe

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 05:42 PM

Hi - i'm shawn, and i'm a Cthulhu-holic. I've been a cultist since the mid-80s. I live in Portland, Oregon - any gamers out there? Been collecting CoC gaming materials and Mythos books for over 15 years. maybe 20. lost count after a while..

Still looking for a Lord Dunsany card..

See you at the HPL Filmfest :)
http://www.hplfilmfest.com/

#10 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 06:02 AM

I was mind-swapped by a Yithian and spent countless years basking under uknown stars.

Ahh what fun it is!

I have played this game since the 1st edition. Sadly most of my original rulebooks and scenarios did not survive moving to a move that exposed them to a rainstorm in 1998.

Lately I've been in a "reorganization of my life" type of mood, indulging my varied interests, including keeping up with my martial arts, studying the wild habits of two cats, spending time with my wife, and working in a pseudo-governmental job that will surely leave me soulless in a few years.

I live in the Los Angeles vicinity, near foggy cliffs if you can believe it, and conduct monthly "Call of Cthulhu" games. If you know anybody who'd make the trip to the Strange House By the Sea Cliff, e-mail me.

#11 MrFilthyIke

MrFilthyIke

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 11:28 AM

strange cats, and striving to do the best I can with the time I have (thank you Peter Jackson and Sir Ian!)

:?: :?:
"The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be. Not in the spaces we
know, but between them, They walk serene and primal, undimensioned and to us unseen."

#12 Kain

Kain

Master

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 06:20 AM

Hello, everyone!
Well, I'm back after a long break from RPGs. Used to play Vampire but found out that CoC has more thrills and a wider variety o possible stories.
Besides the corebook (5th Edition) I have nothing else so I will be asking a LOT of stuff. :oops:
I didn't know that Wizards of the Coast released 6th edition, for example. 8O

I'm a piano, videogame and arcade player, and hopefully will finish University and earn a title as Spanish-English translator. :D

#13 TheSteelTsar

TheSteelTsar

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 10:56 PM

Well hello,

My name's Ian , I'm 25, a civil servant, have a Masters in Ancient History, and live in Gloucestershire. I enjoy weird fiction, bad poetry, obscure music, and pretentious conversation, all of which drew me towards Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu. Any players in the West Country; get in touch.

Ian

#14 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 11:37 PM

My name is Kevin Kaier, I am married and live in Detroit, Michigan. I am 34 and 400lbs. in weight. Diabeties is my nemesis.

I have been gaming since 1980. First book Basic D&D.
I went quite a long time without discovering Cthulhu or Lovecraft. I started my Lovecraft obsession in 92 (methinks?).

A friend of mine was playing in a CofC game at a gamestore...I tagged along but wasn't allowed to play. I picked up the 4th edition book and was cosmically zapped!!!

I suddenly understood RE Howard much better, I instantly had a greater appreciation of the movies EVIL DEAD and THE THING (JC)ECT. That night everything changed. The next day I went out and bought a big stack of Lovecraft books and later found Fungi from Yuggoth in a bargain bin. I haven't looked back.

#15 Sacha

Sacha

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 08:47 AM

Greetings and salutations. My name is Sacha, I've been roleplaying for over 20 years and I'm knackered. I'm gainfully (?) employed as a civil servant but spend most of my time running, playing and writing material for RPGs. I have a regular group who meet every Tuesday evening and for sporadic Saturday all day sessions. They are a great bunch of players and we've been gaming together for several years now. We play a wide variety of games, mainly because I own an insane amount of stuff due to an uncontrollable collecting habit.
95% of my gaming is from the GM's side of the screen and I always love talking shop with other GMs and players.
I also enjoy movies, comics, history, running and fell walking, but RPGs remain my enduring love (along with my wife and imminent first child!).
Yes, but you're forgetting about the Rimmer Directive, which states, "Never tangle with anything that has more teeth than the entire Osmond family."

#16 delrio

delrio

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 01:00 PM

Del Rio is just a nom de plume, but it will do for now.

I started gaming in 1978, with the release of the AD&D hardcovers. I started my own AD&D campaign in 1979 (converting it to 3E in 2002). That playing group is scattered now, but still gets together to play that campaign once or twice a year. Four of the current six players have been in it since '79.

My gaming groups over the years have played AD&D, DragonQuest, Rolemaster, Gamma World, Top Secret, Palladium RPG, Ars Magica, Tapestry, Call of Cthulhu, TORG, Flashing Blades, and a number of homebrew systems (one of which bore a marked resemblance to d20, and another of which foreshadowed Amber diceless roleplaying).

I play regularly in a D&D 3E campaign, and I GM two Call of Cthulhu groups, Classic 1920s and Delta Green. Besides gaming, my interests include music, movies, reading, and computers. I am a music collector (about 700 CDs) and an audio/videofile (though not the looney kind). ;-)

Del Rio
Delta Green: Rising Tide (rebooted April 2013)

#17 Lord_Summerisle

Lord_Summerisle

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 03:35 AM

have been roleplaying for so long that I can play 6 degrees of seperation and reach Gary Gygax in only 4 steps (I was introduced to AD&D by a friend, who was introduced by his friend who was introduced to the game by the son of the head of TSR UK, who knew Gygax). I was 14 then, I'm 37 now.

I've been GMing Call of Cthulhu since the second edition - I ran Shadows of Yog-Sothoth at university in 1985, the first of many campaigns in 3 decades and 2 continents.

I moved to New Zealand with my Kiwi wife in 1994 and now live in Auckland - running yet another CoC campaign. I have a Miskatonic university Library edition of the 20th anniversary rulebook.

Apsrt from Lovecraft, I love to read Iain Banks, Terry Pratchett, Colin Dexter, Bernard Cornwell, Jonathan Kellerman and Peter F Hamilton. I have a huge CD collection (top 10 artists: The Beatles, Miles Davis, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, the White Stripes, R.E.M., Blur, Bob Dylan and Fleetwood Mac) a huge DVD collection (Favourites - The Sopranos, Father Ted, the Godfather Trilogy, Ken Burns' 'The Civil War', Casablanca, Vertigo, The league of Gentlemen and the Office)

I love soccer and rugby league, good wine, good restaurants, my wife and my 3 year old son. I'm proudly English, but besotted with New Zealand.

My favourite Lovecraft story is 'The Shadow Over Innsmouth', my favourite Call of Cthulhu adventure, 'Beyond the Mountains of Madness'.

I work in a job I like which nobody else would find very interesting and have another child due in March - life is good

#18 Njal

Njal

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:34 PM

Hi,
I'm 30, from Vancouver, Canada.

I've been playing CoC since around 1987 or so, and along with Ars Magica, it's really the only roleplaying game I've played regularly (beyond my D&D teenage years which ended around 1990). Recently I've been introduced to some other games through friends, Unknown Armies and Over the Edge mainly.

I don't really hang out with hard-core gamers much these days, so my RPG playing is intermittent - usually I organize a longish campaign to run with a bunch of other intermittent gamers, which usually lasts about 2-6 months, then give up gaming for a few months or more. I still occasionally dust off some of the old games I used to love, especially Paranoia, but they're usually one-shots and don't last long.

Favourite eras are 1890s and 1920s. I love the Delta Green book, but I haven't run a campaign with it yet. Favourite scenario is Masks of Nyarly.

Anyway, glad to have found this board... I've been a web addict since the days of Mosaic, but it didn't occur to me until recently to bother looking for CoC resources on the web.

So, nice to "meet" you all.
Njal.

#19 NestroEmichae

NestroEmichae

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 10:09 PM

Hello, I'm Nestro Emichae and I'm a Cthulhu - addict. In addition to being a Keeper and one of the eternal avatars of Nyarlathotep, I also have played DnD and work for a computer company who had me sign a nondisclosure agreement worded in such of a way I can't even give you their name.

In addition to probably being nuttier than a fruitcake in an insane asylum, I have an interest in science and mathematical equations so complex I would need a holodeck just to show you one.

Of course, there is the mild theory going around that this is actually just a character I am using to promote a book I am writing to further the Cthulhu Mythos and update it to modern times, but I wouldn't trust them because they're crazy.

I am currently working on several modules and trying to get back into gaming after work forced me to quit, though a recent start of a boycott of WotC and my particular tastes have limited me to CoC for the forseeable future.
If this were a CoC game, Dubya's last name would be Jermyne (intentional misspelling).

[quote:Delrio]You know English is a great language for precise communication, in much the same way that a fish makes a great hammer.[/quote]

#20 thingmaker

thingmaker

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 10:13 AM

Steve here.
I'm in San Francisco... Haven't run or played for years and when I ran I usually deviated from the mythos or ran horrors unrelated to it. There was always the sense that when the players had learned that there was a system with names already known and stats, if not known, at least estimated... well it seemed to make it all less scary.

I have run some games and even written up source material for a loose series based on stories and novels of William Hope Hodgson.

These days I'm uncertain what system I'll adopt for my next games which will probably be 3 seperate varieties: Maritime horrors of the William Hope Hodgson variety with some mythos material, a 1950's era SF series totally unrelated, contemporary non-mythos horror with a lot of play-by e-mail and nice bells and whistles like searchable databases for the investigators.