• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#201 vonkeitz

vonkeitz

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

Picked this up earlier this week and ripped through the first scenario. Well-done! I'm all for non-Mythos adventures (one of my absolute favs is the Haunted House afterall). I plan on running 4 players through it soon, and it will likely be based in Oxford OH (home of Miami University in Ohio). Also, it will be set in the mid-to-late 1990s? Why, because I want the Internet to be in its infancy and cell phones to work when they feel like it. Still need read the rest of the adventures, but again, I'm impressed. And I tend to be really bitchy/picky about CofC adventures and supplements.
CofC addict since 1986.

#202 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

My players are in the arizona desert right now, and this second part is as good as the first. awesome. as an added horror, I had one of the characters's cellphone ring as they were in the desert trying to make a GPS work. it was his auntie telling him not to worry, everything was ok after she had had her broken ankle fixed, she said. what ankle? he asked. oh, didn't you get my letter? i'm on a cruise in the mediterranean and broke my ankle in Italy. Slowly, he realised it was not his aunt who had called him and asked him to help her friends find their lost son in the desert. and then the phone went dead
christian lehmann

#203 sraymonds

sraymonds

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

Slowly, he realised it was not his aunt who had called him and asked him to help her friends find their lost son in the desert. and then the phone went dead

Oh that is absolutely brilliant. I...I'm stealing this.

#204 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:08 AM

I have to say it just warms my evil heart with glee that people are still talking about and, more importantly, using this book. Kevin should be damn proud of himself.

-B
Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#205 vonkeitz

vonkeitz

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

Finished the first adventure (Book of Shadows). Took 4 (detailed, pregenerated) characters 2 sessions. I set the adventure in October 1997 in Athens, OH, home of Ohio U. Very exciting conclusion, with 2 characters unconscious and the other 2 barely able to drag them to safety. Excellent job! I added more (sinister/historical) material about the apartment building in question but basically ran it unmodified, which is exceedingly rare for me to do. Very well written.
CofC addict since 1986.

#206 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

There was a big lull of six months with my group playing this: too much work, holidays, illnesses, etc... But we finally went back to Arizona in June and in two sessions drew the second scenario to a close. It was as good as the first one, very different, but as eery and intriguing. I look forward to playing the third part this Fall. If Kevin Ross lurks in these parts, I wish, once again, to thank him and congratulate him on such a mature, thrilling, meaningful and deeply fulfilling adventure. As a writer, I realize how long it's been in the making, how much a work of love it is, and without even mentioning the link to Keith and the way that loss reverberates in the losses piling up in the book, how it expands and perpetuates(?) a great tradition. To me, this is a thinking man's Cthulhu scenario. It's like those great terror novels that manage to frighten AND enlighten you at the same time. A classic. I do urge anyone who loves the work of M.R.James, of the early Peter Straub, of Thomas Ligotti... to buy this book and cherish it. Kevin, if you're around, what are you up to these days? There was talk of a colonial Cthulhu? way back when... ( age doeth not my memory help) :-)
christian lehmann

#207 KRoss

KRoss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

There was a big lull of six months with my group playing this: too much work, holidays, illnesses, etc... But we finally went back to Arizona in June and in two sessions drew the second scenario to a close. It was as good as the first one, very different, but as eery and intriguing. I look forward to playing the third part this Fall. If Kevin Ross lurks in these parts, I wish, once again, to thank him and congratulate him on such a mature, thrilling, meaningful and deeply fulfilling adventure. As a writer, I realize how long it's been in the making, how much a work of love it is, and without even mentioning the link to Keith and the way that loss reverberates in the losses piling up in the book, how it expands and perpetuates(?) a great tradition. To me, this is a thinking man's Cthulhu scenario. It's like those great terror novels that manage to frighten AND enlighten you at the same time. A classic. I do urge anyone who loves the work of M.R.James, of the early Peter Straub, of Thomas Ligotti... to buy this book and cherish it. Kevin, if you're around, what are you up to these days? There was talk of a colonial Cthulhu? way back when... ( age doeth not my memory help) :-)

Hiya Christian,

Wow, that post really picks me up today (I'm home sick -- an extreme rarity for me).

I'm glad you're still enjoying OLOS, and I'm looking forward to seeing how your group fares in the last couple of adventures in the book.

I'm also tremendously flattered by the roundabout comparisons to James, Straub, and Ligotti, and that a real novelist has enjoyed my work enough to say such terrific things to boot. I had intended OLOS to be something very different among CoC books, but I didn't know A) whether I could make it work or B) if people would accept such a different tack. Sounds like it did OK, at least. :)

As for what I'm up to these days, well, MRP just released Dead But Dreaming 2, the second volume of the Lovecraftian fiction series I've edited. So far it seems to be very well-received as well. Chaosium is working on getting out a new edition of Cthulhu by Gaslight that I spearheaded, working from Bill Barton's version but very heavily revising and reworking and adding a LOT of new material (by Dave Hallett, Glyn White, Richard Watts, and meself). Supposed to be due this fall. Currently I'm beating myself to death trying to finish up an old west sourcebook for CoC, with a book of old west adventures next on the list. Hope to have all of that finished by the end of the year, but my ass is really dragging at this point (it's been a long summer already).

As for the colonial era books (he said, shooting a sideways look in Adam Crossingham's direction...), they're done. In the publisher's hands. For almost a year now for the last two, two years for the first one. 340K+ words of Colonial Lovecraft Country, and I think probably the best work I've ever done. Sourcebook has material by Scott Aniolowski, Fred Behrendt, Todd Woods, and meself; chunky adventures book has Scott, Dan Harms, and me, and was A TON of fun to do; Curwen Conspiracies campaign was Gary Sumpter's brainchild, brought to life by Brian Courtemanche, Dave Hallett, Glyn White, and yers truly. This stuff was incredibly fun to write, and as I said I think it came out great. Now if we could just set a bomb off under 60Stone and get some books tumbling out of that joint I'll be a much happier old man.

So that's what I've been up to. A lot of stuff in the can or in the works.

Anyway, again, many thanks for the kind words regarding OLOS. It was a long hard road getting it written, but it turned out to be a lot of fun to do after a LONG period of non-writing. I'm glad others have found it worth buying, reading, and playing.

Take care,

Kevin Ross
worn and torn

Edited by KRoss, 16 July 2011 - 03:34 PM.
specifyin' old west adventures book, y'all

#208 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:46 AM

This is thrilling news. As for the comparison, I'm writing in earnest, I really find this book extraordinary: the "quality" of the moral terror that the players feel at times, its eery quality, as well as the fact that everything is so well detailed and so well grounded in the minutiae of Americana ( the urban setting in the first scenario, the Arizona towns in the second, and the Indian reserve, the flooded city in the third, why, even the billboard and the church...). Great work, Kevin, great work. I am thrilled that so much of your work is already completed, and hope it will see the light of day soon ( I am not getting any younger, he murmured :-)
christian lehmann