17 replies to this topic

#1 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,371 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:04 PM

In regard to Arkham Horror, I've been speaking recently with Richard Launius, and he has kindly sent me one of only three copies of a CoC game he developed back in the 80s to play test and to see if he should make it publicly available again (either through a publisher or here). Some of the details follow, I think it was likely designed after the release of Arkham Horror due to some of the components in the box also being found in AH.

Posted Image

Components consist of:

80 Cards
3 six-sided Dice
World Map
Investigative Group Sheets
Rulebook
4 Player Tokens
Cult Location Tokens

It's only just arrived on my doorstep this weekend. I'm currently arranging play test sessions with my local group. May be worth bringing down to Continuum 2004 in the Summer.

What do you think?

Paul

#2 cynick

cynick

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:20 PM

Looks interesting, and high production values for only 3 (presumably) playtest copies.

Cthulhu cultists seem to have been quite lucky in regards to spin-off games over the years:
Arkham Horror
Cults Across America
Creatures & Cultists
The Hills Rise Wild
Mythos
The new CCG coming later this year.

I don't think any other RPG has spawned so many tabletop games.

Let us all know how it plays :D
We do not stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing - George Bernard Shaw

#3 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:34 PM

It's a good thing cultists can't sue for copyright infringement, eh?

I wonder if Chaosium didn't bite because they had Arkham Horror in developement at the time.

Looks cool, though. I say bring it to the Con, and playtest it!

-Badger

#4 Zane

Zane

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:38 PM

Looks interesting, and high production values for only 3 (presumably) playtest copies.

That's the part I find the most interesting. Today if you've got access to someone with artistic ability it isn't that hard to put together that small of a run that looks that professional. Back in the 80's, it took a printshop!

Of course I wouldn't mind finding out more about the game itself!

Zane

#5 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,371 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:31 PM

Well, we've had a (short) play test and it seems a lot of fun. We also made an audio recording of the first hour or so. I'm waiting to see if Richard will allow us to make the recording available, as that may help explain things more. After that some more play tests and a better write up!

It makes me wonder how many other such items are in the world, and what the chances of ever seeing The Trail of the Brotherhood would have been except for the current series of events?

Paul

#6 BradElliott

BradElliott

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 04:35 PM

... I think this game has a lot of potential!

I look forward to hearing the recording, and the pictures are a big help!
--
Regards,
Brad Elliott Manager of Eos Press

"There is a place between Living and Dreaming. Guess It."
-- Antonio Machado

http:/eos-press.com

#7 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,371 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:23 PM

There was a small playtest at my house on Sunday evening (4th April).

Posted Image

Our dining room, Hal 'The Evil Cult Leader' in the photo.

Paul

#8 Hal

Hal

Master

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 11:23 AM

How come I always seem to be where you camera is pointing?

Need to get the audio up on RPGMP3.com and see if we can drum up some more interest in the game.

I think overall it worked well and with the odd tweak and a little clarification on some of the rules it could be quite excellent. It would be interesting to see how the whole game would play out as I think I was winning as the Evil Cultist Leader, in that one, having killed one player and driven another into the shower :D

It is cool! Look forward to some more playtesting in the future.

Hal :roll:

#9 Bifforama

Bifforama

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 12:21 AM

Something like that would be perfect for my group. We don't get the chance to game together much, so when we do get together we usually dust off "Arkham Horror" or some other boardgame (don't have to ask, "so, what happened six months ago when we played last?").

I have absoluely ZERO interest in collectible card games - I'm a firm believer in buying a game once, not having to go out and blow your salary on a booster pack to beat the new golly-gee-whiz card your buddy just got. Besides, I really like the cooperative nature of Arkham Horror and would like to find something else along those lines.

At the very least, I'd love it if a PDF could be authorized for download. I printed out the "Return to Arkham Horror" bits and we played a session of it. It was a lot of fun, but it left us wanting a finished version with the little bugs (hopefully) worked out. As a result, I'm anticipating the eventual publication of the second edition.

So, in summary, the PDF of "Return to Arkham Horror" made me want to buy the new edition. Playing a download of this game just might bring about a sale as well.

--Biffo

#10 Hal

Hal

Master

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:25 PM

I have finally got off my ass and added the Trail of the Brotherhood audio to RPGMP3.com as well.

Also added some very nice ambient tracks from Church of Selene. :lol:

I think Trail of the Brotherhood will be an excellent game if it gets published by the way :D

Hal :roll:

#11 Agent_Donald

Agent_Donald

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 01:11 PM

Maybe Eos Press or Fantasy Flight Publishing are interested in publishing these games.

#12 cynick

cynick

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 09:14 PM

Maybe Eos Press or Fantasy Flight Publishing are interested in publishing these games.

Looks like Eos are interested:
http://www.yog-sotho...c&p=18840#18840

These days, we're doing some Lovecrafty stuff, like publishing CREATURES & CULTISTS (which will be out a few months from now) and working on bringing out TRAIL OF THE BROTHERHOOD (a Richard Launius Special).

We do not stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing - George Bernard Shaw

#13 Kadath

Kadath

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

I am really glad to see some news about the production of this title in the YSDC news section - Looks like EOS are well on their way to full production.

PoC do we have any news on a release date?

I hadnt heard of these other of Richard's board games, the Paroh one sounds fun as does the Dreamlands one. Looking at the board it is quite reminiscent of Talisman, and with FFG having the license for that and producing AH maybe he ought to take that one forward?

I hope EOS have alot of success with Trail.

Kadath

#14 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,371 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:37 PM

PoC do we have any news on a release date?

I've not heard anything more yet, but as soon as I do, I'll post it here!

Paul

#15 Karloff

Karloff

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:54 PM

This is reminiscent of Fury of Dracula, which was also a 1980's game (recently reprinted, IIRC) - particularly the mechanic that seemingly pits the other players, co-operatively, against 'the evil one.'

Looks pretty good! I wouldn't have minded sitting in on that game. ;)

#16 BradElliott

BradElliott

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:01 AM

This is reminiscent of Fury of Dracula, which was also a 1980's game (recently reprinted, IIRC) - particularly the mechanic that seemingly pits the other players, co-operatively, against 'the evil one.'

Looks pretty good! I wouldn't have minded sitting in on that game. ;)

Well, you'll actually get your chance to play it... it may have taken a while, but it's being worked on now and should be out later this year!

Look at our Trail of the Brotherhood Product Page!
http://www.eos-press...ducts-totb.html
--
Regards,
Brad Elliott Manager of Eos Press

"There is a place between Living and Dreaming. Guess It."
-- Antonio Machado

http:/eos-press.com

#17 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:03 AM

Wow- for $50 retail, i hope the production on this game matches what we've seen from Fantasy Flight...

How many players can participate? How rules light/heavy can we expect it to be? Should we anticipate there being a lot of /cards/tokens/chits?

Looking forward to seeing this!

-=b

#18 Kadath

Kadath

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:31 PM

I have been waiting for this game for 6 years at least since I saw a play test at Continuum. Cant wait :D

Kadath