#41 CAThompson

CAThompson

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • LocationChengdu, China

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:19 AM

Not sure how useful I'd be, but I do fancy myself a writer. If you have need I might be able to do something, research is a little harder for me right now being in China and all though.

#42 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

Well Doc I think you can safely say you have an outpouring of support from the people of this forum.

#43 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

Well Doc I think you can safely say you have an outpouring of support from the people of this forum.

And it's nice to hear. Thanks to everyone for their words of support.

At this point, I have to figure out if it's do-able from my end, and then see if Chaosium will grant me a license.

Doc

#44 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

Here's hoping both answers are favorable!
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#45 DrJest

DrJest

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:47 PM

Keith, you may want to consider publishing in pdf files only, maybe sell them through DriveThruRPG.com. That way you can avoid dealing with printing and distribution issues. Although the game store near me is doing very well, it seems like a lot of game stores are struggling these days, and the rpg market probably isn't as strong as it was in the '90s.

Also, I would be interested in submitting a couple of adventures that I've created. It would take me some time to translate my scribbed notes into coherent paragraphs, but you might find the results worthwhile. I don't have any professional experience with writing, but White Wolf published a boardgame that I co-designed in 2006, and um, I wrote for my high school newspaper for three years back in the '80s.

#46 darryll

darryll

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:03 PM

Or possibly publish using the Ransom system as Dennis Detwiller has done. It seems to me his website and output has been a model for success, depending on what your expecations are.

I would be glad to offer any help with graphic design/layout you may require.
"Have with you, at all times, iron that cuts, polished silver, a sprig of mistletoe, and a loaded pistol."

#47 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

A couple reasons I wouldn't go pdf:

I wanna make books. I like books. They look nice on shelves.

What about piracy? Can't a person buy a pdf, and then make endless copies? (I'm not really sure).

Print on demand offers a lot. We adoped print on demand with DarkTales back in 1998 (or 99). It works very well for small print runs, and quality matches, sometimes even bests, offset printing.

Doc

#48 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

What about piracy? Can't a person buy a pdf, and then make endless copies? (I'm not really sure).

Print on demand offers a lot. We adoped print on demand with DarkTales back in 1998 (or 99). It works very well for small print runs, and quality matches, sometimes even bests, offset printing.

Doc

Yes despite anti copy things I belive you copy the text of PDF's pritty easily. I'm sure there's something you can do to prevent right clicking but it's still copyable.

In my mind books are preferable since there easyer to keep track on and more versitle.

#49 Hazi

Hazi

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationEspoo, Finland

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:44 PM

This is good news indeed. That list of Doc's work is like a top list of CoC material and includes a lot of the stuff that got me hooked back in the 80's. So I'll definitely be buying them as they come, and would love to help in any way I can; Doc, gimme a shout if you need any photos aged, or some badly drawn faces :)

// Hazi
Misspellers of the world, unit!

#50 Gallowglass

Gallowglass

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

And they smell#. ;)

Yes, and since they bought a PDF that was presumably directly distilled from the layout files, it'll look pretty good. Printed books have the only remotely effective anti-piracy system yet developed - it takes effort to copy them, and often people skimp of the effort front, producing poor copies that actually discourage others from using pirated PDF's...

Now, to be honest, in this day and age there is a LOT of evidence that says, with a sensibly cautious approach, you will actually do BETTER commercially releasing material in both PDF and PoD: but in the end it's up to you to run the numbers and satisfy yourself that your business plan will work.

Print on demand offers a lot. We adopted print on demand with DarkTales back in 1998 (or 99). It works very well for small print runs, and quality matches, sometimes even bests, offset printing.

And these days there are PoD services that can take a LOT of the leg work out of publishing: not only printing your books, but providing on line store fronts, arranging ISBN's etc.

I really hope this works out, and I'd love to see some new Call of Cthulhu material with your name on it, especially in printed format.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

#

Ms Calendar: Honestly, what is it about [computers] that bothers you so much?
Giles: The smell.
Ms Calendar: Computers don’t smell, Rupert.
Giles: I know. Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower or a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell... musty and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is... it has no texture, no context. It's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then the getting of knowledge should be tangible. It should be, um... smelly.

#51 Cousteau

Cousteau

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationOslo

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:15 PM

.pdf is no good. One guy or gal can simply print it and then scan it again to go around the copy protection. Loss of money for the artists and publishers etc.

And as so many has already said, books have value in themselves. They look nice, they smell, you can touch them, they help towards deforestation (trees are actually Dark Young ones anyway, so good riddance). It's simply not a good idea to sit with a lap-top during sessions to check out some paragraph, it kills the mood.

"So, you want to interview the Doctor? Hadn't thought of that possibility, just let me boot my huge power desktop pc. WRRRRROOOOOOOUUM!"

On second thought, that could be quite scary. ;)

#52 CAThompson

CAThompson

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • LocationChengdu, China

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:32 AM

I hate to bust up the party, but if you were to find a site where downloades re to be found and were to look for .pdfs of books that may or may not involve Cthulhu, calls or roleplaying, you'll find quite a few that never officially made .pdf lurking around.

To an extent I think that piracy is just a fact of life until it becomes legal to hunt and kill people who pirate media.

#53 Frederyck

Frederyck

Master

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

I hate to bust up the party, but if you were to find a site where downloades re to be found and were to look for .pdfs of books that may or may not involve Cthulhu, calls or roleplaying, you'll find quite a few that never officially made .pdf lurking around.

You will find boatloads of them. But as an earlier poster said - the quality of them are mostly very bad. Effort is the greatest enemy of piracy, and scanning books well is a great effort. I believe that anyone who is satisfied with the pdf-dross available on p*****bay etc probably wouldn't buy the books anyway, even if they weren't available for download.

Now, I'd buy anything CoC-related printed stuff with Keith Herber's name on it. But buying pdfs of the same? Not very likely at all.

#54 AdamAstonbury

AdamAstonbury

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:04 AM

Count me in as another in the 'interested' camp. I have a lot of love / respect for Mr Herber's work.

It might even motivate me to get off my arse and write/submit something for publication (ermmm...to date I've written one 'Shotgun Scenario' for Delta Green).....

#55 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

.pdf is no good. One guy or gal can simply print it and then scan it again to go around the copy protection. Loss of money for the artists and publishers etc.

I love CoC, but can't accept that the fanbase is so large that there are bales of money endangered by pdf piracy of its books. Several publishers have come round from the anti-pdf position without too many complaints. And the ransom model would assuage these complaints with ease.

I'm not arguing against printed material, mind you; just stating that the problems with pdf are not as bad as you might expect. It should be an option if only for those European players affected by high shipping costs.
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#56 Neurook

Neurook

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:38 AM

I would much rather buy a physical book. Digital information wants to be free, in both senses of the word.

#57 alewar

alewar

Master

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:49 PM

Doc

you shouldn't care about piracy. every single cthulhu book you write will end up as a high quality scanned PDF in eMule/Bittorrent anyways. trying to avoid this is plain idiotic.

What most of us do before buying the book is to download it from internet, if the book is any good and available, we buy it. We love buying good supplements and collecting them.

What you should do, apart from printing the books, is put your material online, as low quality PDFs with some restricted Creative Commons license. In this way people can see how cool your book are before buying them, or if they don't have the money they can obtain them in a "legal" way, and believe me, if the material is good, they will buy them some day.

Really guys, stop fighting "piracy" and take advantage of the new ways.

#58 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:52 PM

I still think printing them in book format is a better idea. There's a feeling of relibailty about a book which computer files just do'nt have.

Though a freewebs page for some of the big prodjects would allways be nice.

#59 Cousteau

Cousteau

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationOslo

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:55 PM

Lovecraft's protagonists loved books...computers are utterly anti-Lovecraftian. ;)

#60 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

I agree, in situations like this books are best. They are harder to lose and more easisly acessable.