• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 Nescio

Nescio

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

Sorry to slightly disrupt the topic Doc but what was this Outer Gods volume you were talking about?

The Outer Gods was a planned project with four large-scale scenarios each about one of the four important (IMHO) Outer Gods--Azathoth, Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath, and Yog-Sothoth. Each scenario would offer a possible 'definitive' view of a particular god, and all scenarios would be consistent with one another. They would not form a campaign, need not be run consecutively, or in any specific order (save perhaps a climax scenario). But at the same time completion of the scenarios would reveal an overarching plot and back story.

Possibly less exciting sounding than it was when first conceived in 1993, I think it still would work.

Doc

This sounds like something I'd be interested in.

#22 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:29 PM

This sounds like something I'd be interested in.

You're not allowed. You disagreed with me once a long time ago and I'm still upset about it.

:D :o :D :o :D :o :D

(You know I'm joking, right?)

Doc

#23 Kadath

Kadath

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:02 PM

I am positive anything you wrote would get snapped up Keith, your name is associated with some of the best CoC material.

Dont suppose Tom Sullivan will be doing your covers :D :D ?

As for The Outer Gods - great stuff, please do it :)

If I might ask, what other ideas are on the back burner? You must have dozens of ideas cooked up, any other gems you can whet our appetites with?

Kadath

#24 moonbeast

moonbeast

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:10 AM

As the proposed company name might imply, I'd be looking to initially publish books of the same sort I was doing between 1989-94. Primiarly Classic era stuff of a somewhat familiar sort. Possibly the thrice-aborted The Outer Gods, a campaign called Secrets of the Necronomicon, possibly more Lovecraft Country stuff.

Doc

Secrets of Boston! Secrets of Providence!
More Tales of the Miskatonic Valley

*hint hint* :twisted:

#25 FJR

FJR

Master

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:29 AM

Fantastic news! (Though I realise this is at a tentative stage) I've just finished reading your Dunwich book, use the Arkham one regularly, and have recently run a number of scenarios you've written. And all have been wonderful - benchmark stuff in terms of the quality and feel/tenor I hope for in all Call of Cthulhu books I buy. And wonderfully enjoyable, evocative reads. Thanks for the good times.
More 'Lovecraft Country' - style stuff would be my preference - sourcebooks or adventures.
Francis

P.S. And yes, I realise this isn't a response to the original question concerning interested (old-school) authors and artists, but my enthusiasm for your work (recently read, as mentioned) couldn't be contained! (My primary writing experience has merely been in academic Philosophy, as well as editing a Philosophy journal, and its book reviews, and some scattered poetry, so it doesn't quite qualify me for this project. :D )

#26 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:59 AM

Secrets of Boston! Secrets of Providence!
More Tales of the Miskatonic Valley

*hint hint* :twisted:

If so I BEG you not to include anything Metafictional.

#27 Talionis

Talionis

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:00 AM

Hey Doc, I would be happy to contribute to the fold (should Charlie and Chaosium allow). I can give you my C/V if you would like but suffice it to say, I have been writing and running my own CoC material for 15+ years; both "adventures", campaigns and source material. I'd be glad to contribute for copies and reciprocals (copies of other contributors or "house" publications).
Best of luck and I'll look forward to, at the very least buying whatever you can produce.
Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day; light a man on fire and keep him warm for life.

#28 Tigger_MK4

Tigger_MK4

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:00 AM

Doc, do you even need to ask - Yes, yes, a thousand times yes - we'd all love to see you back writing!

Between you, Pelgane and Super Genius, thats the three most exciting pieces of Roleplaying news I've had in ages.

As for contributing for anything UK based - I suffer from the usual curse of "real life" and whether my work is of decent enough quality and length would be questionable :-).. but heck, after 30 years of roleplaying and 20+ years of Keeping I hope I might be able to contribute something ...
My Beyond the Mountains of Madness blog

"RULES" ARE GUIDELINES !

#29 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:59 AM

As for contributing for anything UK based - I suffer from the usual curse of "real life" and whether my work is of decent enough quality and length would be questionable :-).. but heck, after 30 years of roleplaying and 20+ years of Keeping I hope I might be able to contribute something ...

Well, discussion of any projects, submissions, etc., are way, way premature at this point.

But I don't think anyone should feel they are too inadequate, or too inexperienced to consider possible publication. Experience and good writing skills are helpful, but when we're talking CoC, other things truly take precedence. Good ideas, a couple good scenes, three-dimensional characterizations, and an understanding of what makes a good gaming experience are far more important than slick word usage. The polish can come later, if the real meat is there.

To my credit, I can say--with one regrettable exception--that every writer who ever submitted to me at Chaosium, and was willing to do a serious re-write, or possibly even a second scenario, got published.

Desire counts for a lot.

Doc

#30 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:12 AM

If so I BEG you not to include anything Metafictional.

Metafictional? Um...help me out on that. :oops:

Doc

#31 Gallowglass

Gallowglass

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:14 AM

This is excellent news - I really hope this can happen.

Cheers,

NDM

#32 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:27 AM

Dont suppose Tom Sullivan will be doing your covers :D :D ?

As for The Outer Gods - great stuff, please do it :)

If I might ask, what other ideas are on the back burner? You must have dozens of ideas cooked up, any other gems you can whet our appetites with?

Kadath

Hard to say what Tom's up to these days. However, we're both Michigan boys, and I've visited Tom at his studio a couple times (cool stuff...King Kong things...Evil Dead props) so maybe he could be talked into it.

I had a bunch of things in the works at Chaosium. Most got cancelled after the separation. Secrets of the Necronomicon is a classic globe-hopping campaign. It begins with a antiquarian/book collector scenario (courtesy of Gary Sumpter, and reminiscent of The Ninth Gate) then bounces around a while before a final revelation, discovery of the real Al-Azif, and more.

A History of the Miskatonic Valley would contain several scenarios set in different parts of the Valley at different time periods, and utilize pre-gen characters. A witch-hunt era adventure in 17th century Arkham, a 19th century whaling adventure that connects to Innsmouth, and others. WintonP has been telling me about a 1980s Dunwich scenario he has that sounds really cool.

Stuff like that, you know?

Doc

#33 justadame

justadame

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationThe Other Side

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:51 AM

Sounds great !

Must make more shelf space ...
Contactable by Séance, Oujia Board, Temple Prayers, Email and Facebook (if you know where to look).

#34 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

Oh I certainly would be interested in participating in anyway possible. Writing, editing, etc. Hell I have more than a few writing credits under my chops, including at least one thing for CoC. I got discouraged a few years ago from writing a 19thc gaslight monograph for Chaosium when I was told to wait for the "reissue" of Cthulhu by Gaslight. I also had a second idea shot down (which actually was okay since someone else was writing about Hungary) at the time.

I still need to get my newest idea thrown past Dustin and get working on it this summer when I have time. I'd love to do an actual WWI source book with scenarios since that is what my academic writing and career have focussed on for the last 15 years.

Matt

#35 Untouchable

Untouchable

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

I agree with other posters, more Miskatonic Valley booklets/stuff/scenarios.

However, I disagree in putting a range of scenarios from different periods in the same booklet - 17th century to 1980s. That means only maybe a couple scenarios for any particular period, and thus IMO might not sell as well.

However...if the scenarios had sections that could point to how to modify them for Classic and Modern, then that's a winner in my book.

Again, Miskatonic Valley is perfect for more stuff. I've always loved your work, and look forward to the new stuff, including the Necro campagin (sounds fab!)

Glad to see that though once you were out, they pulled you back in...! ;)

#36 Nemo235

Nemo235

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:47 PM

Great news! The stars are aligning.

Count me in as an aspiring artist and idea man.

I'm getting some of my art together to post on http://www.deviantart.com/ as a portfolio.

I'll send you a pm when it's ready, if you like.

#37 Kadath

Kadath

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:25 PM

I'll send you a pm when it's ready, if you like.

Could you post the link instead? I would love to look through your art.

Kadath

#38 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

I agree. New art is allways welcome.

#39 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

Post the link, post the link...

Doc

#40 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:47 AM

I too would be interested in maybe sending in some of my work. I write, senarios and fiction.