• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:43 PM

I actually spoke on the phone with Charlie Krank yesterday (!??!), regarding the new licensing philosophy at Chaosium.

Athough we're miles away from actually signing a deal, for the first in fourteen years Chaosium is not actively blocking me from publication. So, I'm gathering information, trying to determine if a project is worth the trouble.

Question: If I managed to put together a company to publish books (I've done this before, it ain't no big deal) and called it "Golden Age Publications" or something, are there enough CoC authors and artists out there to support the venture?

I have no idea what it would pay. I'm still gathering info. Suffice it to say: it probably won't pay much.

What do people think? Are there enough veteran or aspiring artists and authors out there to make it work? Will it sell enough copies to make it work?

Input and opinions are invited. Any current Chaoisum authors who might be able to give me a clue regarding sales figures these days should probably contact me via PM.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Doc (Keith Herber)

#2 mr_mitts

mr_mitts

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:03 PM

I'd be interested in buying/reading/writing* anything new and original in the Lovecraft field. Plus, congrats in order for them not slamming the door in your face.

* Although, for the latter, my publishing days have been few and far between these moons past... :?
~ Britannia Waives The Rules ~

#3 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

As the proposed company name might imply, I'd be looking to initially publish books of the same sort I was doing between 1989-94. Primiarly Classic era stuff of a somewhat familiar sort. Possibly the thrice-aborted The Outer Gods, a campaign called Secrets of the Necronomicon, possibly more Lovecraft Country stuff.

Doc

#4 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

Good campaigns in the style of your Dunwich one are allways welcome. Something like that for 1920s/30s Severn Valley would be lovely too.

#5 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

Something like that [Dunwich] for 1920s/30s Severn Valley would be lovely too.

Would have to get some Brits on board to handle that one.

Doc

#6 neorxnawang

neorxnawang

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

And lo, the earth split open, and the brimstone wafted forth, and the sun was blotted from the sky, and the birds lie with the beasts.....

I'm out here and unattached.

Jeff Moeller (Mortal Coils, TRV3/OOTV, The Primal State, blah blah blah).

#7 Brother12

Brother12

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:19 PM

I would certainly support such a venture as a customer. I could never get up the enthusiasm to write under Chaosium's terms but I might be motivated to contribute something to your enterprise.

#8 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:36 PM

Doc

Did'nt consider that. Sorry.

#9 jasonw1239

jasonw1239

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB Canada

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

Hi Doc! Of all the news I could have expected on the Yoggie site today, hearing that you are thinking of getting back into the CoC business would not have been at the top of my list.
(Don't take that the wrong way! To risk sounding like a 46 year old 'fanboy' I have always admired your work!)

I don't have the writing 'chops' that some of the others do on these forums but I have two monographs under my belt (Undying Leaders and Mysteries of Tibet).
At the moment I am beginning research and gathering materials to write another mono (Mysteries of .....), but if the opportunity presents itself I would not mind contributing towards your efforts. :D

Do you have any plans for looking into releasing support material for new products such as Trail of Cthulhu or the upcoming Pulp Cthulhu?

Jason Williams

#10 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

Doc

Did'nt consider that. Sorry.

Nothing to apologize for. :) But I think it's been shown that certain, intensive, sourcebooks about Britain are best written by Brits. Same for Spain and Spaniards, and a good many others.

I can write scenarios about Romania, or Colombia, and pull it off. But that's because I'm writing from the perspective of an American (or other Westerner) and seeing/describing a different world from a foreigner's particular point of view.

Something like Dunwich is greatly aided by the fact that I am, to some degree, familiar with that segment of American culture. That's 'cause I was born and raised here. For me to attempt a similar treatment of a town in, say, France, would probably fall short of the mark, and the Frenchmen would let me know it.

Doc

#11 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:00 PM

Your probably though I do strongly feel that the Severn Vlley area (not the actuel Severn Valley area as Campbell got his geography slightly) would lend it'self extremely well to the same open campaign style with plenty of opertunity for home made scenarios.

Clasic era Severn Valley stuff is kinda hard to find.

Some one needs to snare Mr_Lin...

Either I wish you the best of luck with the prodject.

#12 malcojones

malcojones

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

I'm enthused about this potential development as prospective purchaser or contributor, given the opportunity. Keep us posted. Best, malcojones

#13 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:33 PM

Sorry to slightly disrupt the topic Doc but what was this Outer Gods volume you were talking about?

#14 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

Do you have any plans for looking into releasing support material for new products such as Trail of Cthulhu or the upcoming Pulp Cthulhu?

Hey...hi, and thanks.

There's no real plans at all yet. I've talked with Charlie about it, discussed a couple ideas, and he's yet to chase me off. So, maybe it'll work out.

Trail of Cthulhu is a different game, from a different publisher, and not part of any Chaosium license. And I've not spoken with Pelgrane. I know Pulp Cthulhu is on the way, but I know little about it. Initially, I think of projects that were similar in tone and style to those I did before and during the Chaosium years, but that certainly wouldn't exclude other ideas.

In the end, you want to make what people want to buy. It satisfies both fans and creditors. A win/win situation.

Doc

#15 enchanter

enchanter

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

Got to plead ignorance - have not seen the previous stuff you did (my loss from the sound of it ) can someone enlighten the uninitiated amongst us?

Would love this as a punter - I would certainly buy anything original.

#16 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:02 PM

Sorry to slightly disrupt the topic Doc but what was this Outer Gods volume you were talking about?

The Outer Gods was a planned project with four large-scale scenarios each about one of the four important (IMHO) Outer Gods--Azathoth, Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath, and Yog-Sothoth. Each scenario would offer a possible 'definitive' view of a particular god, and all scenarios would be consistent with one another. They would not form a campaign, need not be run consecutively, or in any specific order (save perhaps a climax scenario). But at the same time completion of the scenarios would reveal an overarching plot and back story.

Possibly less exciting sounding than it was when first conceived in 1993, I think it still would work.

Doc

#17 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

Plot arc aa? Sounds an interesting idea.

Though I must admit I have selfish desire to see some of the other Outer Gods getting used in some (Tre'numbra and the like)

#18 doccthulhu

doccthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

Got to plead ignorance - have not seen the previous stuff you did (my loss from the sound of it ) can someone enlighten the uninitiated amongst us?

I'm in the wiki. Keith Herber. Most of it's true, except the Florida part. Actually I'm in the Witness Protection Program and living in Mesa, Arizona, and...oops.

Aw, crap...

Doc

#19 ZenWired

ZenWired

Master

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:30 PM

I'd be looking to initially publish books of the same sort I was doing between 1989-94.

I'm definitely on board, as a consumer at least! I've sorely missed the style that was set forth in the CoC books from the early 90's. I'd love to see you produce more stuff like you did "back in the day." (Bought every book that Chaosium produced back then - would most likely buy anything you produce now if it's of like quality and content.)

As far as being a contributor, I can't say. I've never really taken a shot at authoring any RPG content - not for publication, anyhoo.

Zen
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."

#20 malcojones

malcojones

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:52 PM

Campaigns:
Day of the Beast (aka Fungi from Yuggoth)
Spawn of Azathoth
The Trail of Tsathoggua

Sourcebooks:
Arkham
Dunwich
(and architect of all the Arkham Country books)

Scenarios (a sample):
The Condemned (Complete Arkham),
The Case (Curse of Cthulhu),
Edge of Darkness (Rulebook),
The Evil Stars (Cthulhu Now),
The Haunted House (Curse of Cthulhu),
The Sanatorium (Mansions of Madness),
Uncle Timothy’s Will (Blood Brothers),
Wail of the Witch (Curse of Cthulhu),
The Trail of Yig (Tales of the Miskatonic Valley)

Best, malcojones

edit: I see this might be unnecessary now, but it does mention some things 'unnamed' on the Wiki.