67 replies to this topic

#61 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:45 AM

There was an especially popular trope in the West, between 1870 and 1914 of the "Invssion narrative"; pseudo military histories of coming future wars, usually jingoistic blather or doom and gloom warnings urging greater armamentation. While some proved corrected in the broad strokes - Germany did invade France, eventually, most sound absurd to modern readers.

Consider how ubiquitous the notion of a German-Americsn war featuring an invasion of New Jersey is; it shows up in Chambers' "Repairer of Reputatuons" and Jack London's "The Iron Heel", two very different takes.

https://en.m.wikiped...sion_literature

There's an entire website devoted to covering this particular sub-genre (From the British perspective) that is well worth looking at:

Victorian & Edwardian Invasion, Future War & Spy Literature

http://www.theriddleofthesands.com/

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#62 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:07 AM

This is a follow on to the Wu Dynasty China maps I posted. This map has been edited to show the nations surrounding the Chinese Empire, predominant national religion has been noted.

th_Wu_Dynasty_China_1716_Nations_zps94uf

1. Wu Dynasty China (Shinto)

2. Manchu Empire (Confucian)

3. Kingdom of Korea (Shinto)

4. Empire of Japan (Shinto)

5. Ryukyu Kingdom (Shinto)

6. Annam (Buddhist)

7. Shan Kingdom (Animist(*))

8. Tibet (Buddhist)

9. Oirat Kingdom (Confucian)

*. The Shan Kingdoms religion is a mixture of Anamist/Buddhism/Confucian beliefs.

The current Kingdom of Korea formed from regions that were held by the Japanese when they and the Manchu Empire divided the old Kingdom between them. The current capital is Dague in the south.

Further to the south, the western islands (Sumatra/Borneo) of what in our world are part of Indonesia are inhabited by followers of Shintoism rather than Islam but who are at present independent of the Japanese Empire. A map of this region will follow.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#63 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

I have thought about a post-Apocalypse setting after the Great Old Ones arise in the near future. Never put any ideas to paper but thought it might make for an interesting short one off campaign.

Since this was posted, the "Cthulhu: End Times" setting became "a thing" in 7th Edition's Cthulhu Through the Ages.  I've never tried the setting, but it sounds like it could be a lot of fun to me.

In the much-referenced (deservedly so) A Colder War, there's a lovely bit about people existing in "simulation spaces" in the mind of Yog-Sothoth, exploring all the possible ways they might die. Perhaps the reason the Blind idiot God is the way He is is that His mind is running simulations of the universe, over and over, each slightly different to the last, until He has mapped out every possible iteration of the way events can play out across the entirety of history.

You could build a "Sliders meets Cthulhu" campaign out of a group of people who realise that they are dead, souls eaten by Yog-Sothoth and now existing as shadows in the virtual universes of His mind, struggling to maintain their sense of self as they travel from simulation to simulation in the vain hope that they may find either a way out or a way to finally die...

I rather like the idea of a "Sliders/Cthulhu" Mashup, or perhaps a "Quantum Leap/Cthulhu" mashup, where disembodied minds travel through time and space, "Shadow Out of Time" style, taking over human and alien bodies in various eras and on assorted alien worlds in a race to find and stop a mental invasion and conspiracy of monstrous reincarnated alien minds from the end of time....

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#64 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:19 AM

Just found a review of a bad movie, that could (assuming a copy can be found...) make for the basis of a fairly wild 'alt-history' setting.

The film is called Bridge of Dragons. The review is linked below:

Bridge of Dragons is actually one of the more deliberately anachronistic films I've seen since Mars Attacks!. The clothes, the vehicles, the hair, everything, are all from a mix of different eras, from the Dark Ages to the present day, and it is fun to try and catch the anachronisms when they appear.

http://millionmonkey...eofDragons.html

Here is a second review which also discusses the films bizarre visual style:

Bridge of Dragons comes with an intriguing set-up. Immediately after it opens, we sit puzzling over exactly what world we are in. The film seems to take place in a monarchy that is set in a quasi-wilderness that could be post-holocaust. Inside the city however, modern Jeeps and Russian helicopters sit alongside vehicles and costumes from the 1930s, while out in the wasteland people live amid ruins and use horseback technology. The evil general’s troops wear the uniforms of World War II German infantry, the leaders of the mythical kingdom are Asian...

The opening title card informs that the film takes places “somewhere where the past meets the future”.

http://moria.co.nz/f...ragons-1999.htm

I've found a 30 second trailer on YouTube. It looks like there may be a few other fan made trailers floating around.

Here is a longer trailer which gives more detail on what is described in the reviews.

Edited by Graham, 05 May 2017 - 05:54 AM.

#65 Travern

Travern

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:12 PM

In the CoC Soviet Union thread, I brought up Kenneth Hite's Yog-Sothoth-meets-Stalin alternate history from GURPS Infinite Worlds: Worlds of Horror.  Its neat twist, which I haven't seen in other alternate history scenarios, is that the real point of divergence from our common history occurs a couple of decades before the apparent one.  In this respect, it's alternate secret history.  

In this alternate timeline beginning in 1927, Joseph Stalin, a.k.a. the Red Tsar, signs his name in the Book of Azathoth in exchange for earthly power and extended life.  His Mythos-backed machinations proceed in behind the scenes of the familiar purges, famines, and conflicts until 1948, the year after Harry Truman's death, when the election of the isolationist Robert A. Taft to the presidency tips the Cold War in the USSR's favor.  By 1962, in a Soviet-dominated world, the Mythos is preparing to emerge from behind the Iron Curtain: "A hundred doors slowly crack open, all across the Soviet sphere. Surgeons captured in Treblinka probe the brains of political prisoners and Red Army volunteers, seeking the gateways in pineal space. Armies of slaves work gulag mines to supply the fungoid, alien Yughotiy with rare Siberian minerals. Thousands die in screaming agonies to placate Nyarlathotep. Antarctic explorers dig up Elder technologies; physicists in isolated Siberian laboratories go mad trying to utilize them. Certain inquisitive strangers with unlikely knowledge of the past and future answer insistent questions in their turn in the Lubyanka basement. Over them all, Stalin’s will drives forward. The New Soviet Man will be the next Great Race on Earth. It will be the only Great Race."

It sounds like Great Old Ones would return to this parallel earth "when the tsars are right".

Edited by Travern, 08 May 2017 - 07:13 PM.

#66 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:45 PM

I've been messing around with Europa Universalis 3 again, the world developing is quite interesting, as this little vignette reveals.

Marseilles, 25th January, 1777

Dear Charles,

I write this sure in the knowledge that it will reach you on the next mail packet to England, or so the Consul has assured me. The work of a Royal Messenger is never easy and bouncing around in a stage coach on these wretched French roads after delivering my dispatches to Paris has quite worn me out, if only Louis XVII would stop warring with his neighbors and spend some money on his own country the world would be much better off.

I think you would find much of interest in this town, while not such a great trading center as London, or the great souqs in Malaga (*) Genoa (*), Venice (*), Naples (*) or Alexandria, you can still find ships from half the world drawn up at these docks, but you'd never believe what I've seen, great three-deckers bearing the Portuguese flag! It's been centuries since warships bearing that flag have been seen in European waters, let alone in the Mediterranean, the whole harbor is abuzz with rumor, including claims that the Caliph Al'Andalus himself, had been overthrown by the men from across the sea.

But the Consul himself gave me the true, if somewhat grubbier tale. It seems that the Caliph's cousin, the Sultan of Algiers, warred with the Ottomans over Tripoli and lost his eastern territories. With the Caliphs armies embroiled (So, it is said.) in subjugating half of India no immediate response was possible, but when a fleet of Portuguese warships and transports, accompanied by a plenipotentiary ambassador arrived off Jebal al-Tair (#), asking permission to enter the Mediterranean to punish the Ottomans for bankrolling corsairs on the sea route to India the Andalusians were more than willing to put aside enmities that date back to the Crusades to let them through. The Consul had this from both the Portuguese Admiral and the Commodore of the frigates the Andalusians sent along to watch them, but before he could continue the tale, a Celyonese ship captain came in demanding that he do something about the French harbor charges and he had to deal with that.

Personally I think he should have told that captain to go elsewhere, why we have not resubjugated that island after they rebelled during the last war with the French I do not know, it's not simply that they've taken over the trade handled by the East India Company, it's that there's something dashed odd about their faith (%).

But enough of this, I'll be leaving tomorrow on the mail packet for Siena, I'll write you again when I get there.

Yours,

Richard

Notes

*. These ports are all controlled by the Andalusian Caliphate, the names the writer uses are those commonly used by Europeans of the time, the Arabic names for these ports I have not yet worked out.
#. Gibraltar
%. Ceylon was conquered by the British and converted to Roman Catholicism, as practiced on the island the Roman Church contains a large admixture of Buddhism.

Edited by Graham, 13 November 2017 - 01:48 PM.

#67 Dante7

Dante7

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:32 PM

Anybody besides me ever want to combine Green Antarctica with the Mythos?

http://tvtropes.org/...GreenAntarctica

#68 EihortBroodling

EihortBroodling

Master

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:14 AM

RE Invasion narratives

I've read When William Came, by Saki, and I recommend it.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14540