• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 mr_mitts

mr_mitts

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:46 AM

I'm tinkering with 'alternative universes' for playing CoC scenarios. Aside from the usual abnormal eras I've tried (Teddy Boys versus Cthulhu circa 1955; US Marines in 1968; a group of strung-out American-Psycho-esque cocaine-fiend yuppies on a camping trip in the mid-80s...) I mean honest-to-God Alternative Histories, with Difference Engines in the 1880s, Nazi-victorious Second World War and other assorted oddities.

Has anyone else run or played in such scenarios (preferably as part of a campaign) and has anyone published online any similar ideas?

#2 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

What about Rlyeh never sank?

Or perphaps you could all be Elder Things in an alternate future were the Shoggoth rebbelion never went ahead.

#3 MrFeste

MrFeste

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

Been toying with an idea for a post - Golden Dawn, players fail, Arthur rules type thing but not put pen to paper yet.

Esther Friesner's Druids Blood is not a bad place to start either, the romans never defeated British tribes in that one.

A Neverwhere/Grunts style hub to various alternative realities might work too.

One thing I did make a start on was a Gaslight thing based on Mary Poppins. Scarey stuff.....
As if by magic, a shopkeeper appeared....

#4 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:42 PM

What if Robert Olmstead forgot to lock his room at the Gilman House?
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#5 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

Neil Gaiman's A Study in Emerald is a good start for a very alternate Gaslight game.

#6 ThothAmon

ThothAmon

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

Has anyone else run or played in such scenarios (preferably as part of a campaign) and has anyone published online any similar ideas?

For my first answer I would point you towards 'The Peshwar Lancers' by S M Stirling ;)

http://en.wikipedia....eshawar_Lancers

I would also point you to the infamous 'Wings Of The Valkyrie' which is readily adaptable for CoC:

http://index.rpg.net...tml?mainid=2156
Cheers.

Peter.

#7 Mr_Lin

Mr_Lin

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

Resurrection Day by Brendan Dubois is a bit of a poor man's Fatherland but does have the interesting premise of a nuclear exchange between America and the USSR after the Cuban Missile Crisis kicks off big style.

An alternative 1960s could be an interesting milieu, especially when you've got two large countries partially devastated and thus more vulnerable to mythos influence.
Vot is point?

#8 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:17 PM

(ahem)
My upcoming...eventually... monograph from Chaosium.
http://cthulhuadventus.blogspot.com

#9 anacharis

anacharis

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:40 AM

And, of course, there's always the alternate-1920s from The Repairer of Reputations- Decadence, Militarism, Suicide Chambers, and the King in Yellow...
And the even more alternate world in which Hildred's conspiracy actually worked. :8E:
Adequately Excellent

#10 Vampyria

Vampyria

Neophyte

• 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:15 PM

My old RP Group did a early NE Colonial era setting.
Those Salem Witches were dealing with something more than
the Devil :lol: .

One member had even got plastic pilgrim figures & painted them
up

V

#11 CAThompson

CAThompson

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • LocationChengdu, China

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:17 AM

This isn't going to be as helpful as I'd like. In a Cthulhu magazine there was such a setting. Someone help me here:

In this, the Nazis got some kind of help and someone else fired nuclear weapons on their behalf. America's nuclear program was destroyed and the Axis took over Europe and Asia.

America is now a nation of bunker cities and turned to the mythos as a weapon. They released several mythos entities, big ones, and are looking to use more.

It was neat, investigators were called locksmiths or keys or something and as far as a dystopian future and turning the Cthulhu RPG over it worked quite well.

#12 Ottomancer

Ottomancer

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:01 AM

If you haven't already read them, I'd recommend The Man In The High Castle by Philip K Dick, and A Colder War by Charlie Stross. The former deals with one possible outcome of the Axis powers winning WW2, the latter deals with the Mythos and the Cold War.
:)

#13 HJ

HJ

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationMaidenhead, UK

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

Stephen Baxter's Weaver series is interesting for alternative histories and the possibilities, with some nice tinkering from the future.

#14 Iago1537

Iago1537

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

You could always tweak a Deadlands game to fit into a more historically accurate (alternate historical) time line
But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.

#15 Nollvane

Nollvane

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:31 PM

This isn't going to be as helpful as I'd like. In a Cthulhu magazine there was such a setting. Someone help me here:

In this, the Nazis got some kind of help and someone else fired nuclear weapons on their behalf. America's nuclear program was destroyed and the Axis took over Europe and Asia.

America is now a nation of bunker cities and turned to the mythos as a weapon. They released several mythos entities, big ones, and are looking to use more.

It was neat, investigators were called locksmiths or keys or something and as far as a dystopian future and turning the Cthulhu RPG over it worked quite well.

I don't know the article, but the premise reminds me of David Brin's great short story "Thor Meets Captain America." I think there is already a game based on the same idea, which is too good to spoil, but I don't remember the name.
"Good," said the Martian. "Then I do want something. I've heard about your disgusting mating habits. Now I can watch them."

#16 mr_mitts

mr_mitts

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:45 PM

Thanks guys!

I'm hoping to write a Monograph on the subject; or at least some sort of 'book,' featuring settings other than the norm. I'm too much the AH buff, in that regard. A few years back I wrote a background setting where Islam dominated much of the western world, with China and Burma the only two other major powers. Abd-Al Azred was a prophet and the Necronomicon was considered by a large minority of the Muslim faith as addendums to the faith. I'd love to turn it into something workable. That and a few other settings I plotted out for stories (some finished, some unfinished, some published).

A Colder War is, for those who haven't read it, one of the best short-stories out there for the Mythos. I heartily recommend it.
~ Britannia Waives The Rules ~

#17 ginja

ginja

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:29 PM

A Colder War is, for those who haven't read it, one of the best short-stories out there for the Mythos. I heartily recommend it.

The world detailed in "The Atrocity Archives", also by Stross would make a good campaign setting. It's Delta Green in Blighty.

#18 mr_mitts

mr_mitts

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:46 PM

The world detailed in "The Atrocity Archives", also by Stross would make a good campaign setting. It's Delta Green in Blighty.

I don't think I can agree with that. Far too silly for DG; more like Avengers meets SPOOKS with Lovecraft on the fringe.
~ Britannia Waives The Rules ~

#19 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

Thought I'd throw something in here, not so much an Alt-Hist, but a Future of the past.

In 1763 an Anon author released The Reign of George VI 1900-1925.

The book is a case of Rule Britannia.

Under the rulership of George VI the UK defeats France (Charles X), Russia (Tsar Peter IV) & Spain (Charles V) and makes the world a better place. (BTW they also save Frederick IX (descendant of Frederick the Great) of the HRE from losing his (Viennese) throne along the way).

In this world there was neither an American, French or Industrial revolution, three deckers still ply the oceans & the East India Company rules India & the former property of the Dutch East India Company.

Could be used as an alternate dimension, reached by a portal from somewhere in 1927, there may even be an alternate H.P.L findable in this universes version of Arkham, living a peaceful life under the Duke of Massachusetts...

#20 Evans

Evans

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

And, of course, there's always the alternate-1920s from The Repairer of Reputations- Decadence, Militarism, Suicide Chambers, and the King in Yellow...

I don't know much about the campaign but would it be possible to play Tatters of the King as a Gaslight game (1899 to be precise) and if the players fail they get Chambers yellow century.