239 replies to this topic

#41 jabonko

jabonko

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:55 AM

I can say truthfully that I'm not interested in a home-brew 25-person LARP scenario. I don't know enough people period, let alone enough people interested in the Mythos, or even tolerant of it, to get a game like that off the ground.

As for gift ideas for me?
Any CoC source-books (HPL's Arkham, Tales of Miskatonic Valley, Secrets of..., etc.) that aren't the New Orleans one (I have it) would be great.

Weird, horror, or mystery novels/short story collections are great.
Homemade stuff is awesome.
Anything from Lovecraftiana or Chaosium is good too.
Weird, eerie, music is also good.

Posting gift idea lists like this for what are - no offense - mostly complete strangers? That's a little weird.

#42 Nightbrother

Nightbrother

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:56 AM

I'm probably not too hard to find a shoggothy gift for either, since:

I own no monographs (shame on me, I know)

I'll gleefully read practically all horror/creepy/scary fiction, new or old.

The adventures my old group owns are all stupendously old (and we only have very few), so any adventure would be a grand gift.

I love props and utilize them often, so anything in that department will be accepted with the greatest of thanks.

Failing other things, almost any sci-fi would be good too, despite its lack of Cthulhuity, but just saying in case my shoggoth is having trouble finding something.

As far as LARP's go, that sadly not something I can use at all. I own all novels by Lovecraft, Lumley (well, most of his stuff that I want to read), Poe, M.R. James, Caleb Carr (well, he wrote only two of note, pretty much) and numerous others, but given the amount of people who have written scary stories/novels, I should think that the possibility of finding something I don't have is pretty huge. ;) In any case, I'm be happy as pie just to be part of the Yuletide madness here.

I have the Call of Cthulhu movie (made by HPLHS) and zillions of other movies, so stearing clear of movies altogther would probably be a good bet.
"Hargle Bargle Blargle Blargh!" - Squashua (made me laugh muchly)

#43 Karloff

Karloff

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:12 PM

Well let me see . . .

It's safe to assume I have most of the older Cthulhu stuff but none of the newer, and none of the monographs. By 'older' I mean I haven't bought anything since Countdown.

I read almost everything (please, no Mills & Boon, I don't care if it does cause SAN loss IRL) and own a multiregional DVD player. However it's safe to assume I already have copies of Lovecraft's & Lieber's works, and I don't much care for Lumley.

I used to LARP but I don't any more (lack of opportunity) and doubt I ever will again.

Happy hunting! ;)

#44 MrFilthyIke

MrFilthyIke

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

Posting gift idea lists like this for what are - no offense - mostly complete strangers? That's a little weird.

I'd wager no one will think it weird you are posting what you'd like in what is essentially a Secret Santa list. Anywhere else, and you're being greedy. :wink:
"The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be. Not in the spaces we
know, but between them, They walk serene and primal, undimensioned and to us unseen."

#45 johnnyhamper

johnnyhamper

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hi chaps,
this is the first time i have posted on this esteemed website after many months checking it out, listening to the podcasts and slowly getting back in to call of cthulhu after about ooooh, ten years away.

The idea of secret shoggoth is ace and i look forward to seeing how it all pans out.

as for pressie ideas for myself it should be pretty easy. Any CoC scenario or monograph books except the rule book, LA sourcebook, the LA detective agency one, Terror australis and Blood brothers would go down just great.

asking for pressies from people you dont know is a bit wierd. However if you dont do 'a bit wierd' what are you doing playing call of cthulhu?

Chin-chin, peace and merry christmas. :D

#46 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

For myself, my Secret Shoggoth would primarily consist of the newer Monographs. I pretty much have all of the older ones and almost everything for Call of Cthulhu.

So I would be interested in Night of the Kachina, Farewell My Sanity, or Dark Mirror. Anything odd or handmade might be interesting too... As would the Cthulhu dice.

For lulucthulhu... She might like the Cthulhu dice too or some fiction or a graphic novel. She might like something handmade too, but other than that, she is not intersted in having her own gaming material. (if in doubt, I can easily discuss suggestions.)

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#47 Kirche

Kirche

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

As some one previously said this feels very strange

I’ve got MON,
Curse of Cthulhu.
Darkages
The pastores
Invictus
Unseen Masters

Any of these would be Cook!

Dark Mirror
Undying leaders
Fair well my sanity
The abbey
Raising Up
Miskatonic

Or homemade

Or…
anything is great really

K

#48 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:38 AM

Here are some ideas for anyone who draws my name...

Monograph - Cthulhu Invictus (my old copy has just about had it).

The King In Yellow Expansion for Arkham Horror

At The Mountains of Madness CD from the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society

Prop-Fonts CD from the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society

Cathulu Knot or Aztec Cathulu Double-Sided Shot or Pint Glass from Sighco.com

Or whatever.

#49 Nemo235

Nemo235

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:22 PM

Dear Secret Shaggoth,
I have been somewhat good this year.

I would like something for the Call of Cthulhu game.
I only have one monograph, the Parapsychologist's Handbook.
A Cthulhu coffe mug would be cool...err...hot. I bleed coffee.

If you are really stuck for a gift idea, Chaos Bucks from Chaosium's website would be great.

You buy the Bucks, and e-mail me a code to claim them like a gift certificate. There's no shipping cost, and I can apply the Bucks to my next order. They have bucks for $13.00 and $6.66. Perfect.

Plus, if you enter the code: MERRY YITHMAS in the coupon block of your purchase, you will recieve 10% off. This code is usable twice per customer account this holiday season.

Thanks, and have a great holiday.

teke-Li-li !

Nemo235

P.S. - Please, no plushies.

#50 CAThompson

CAThompson

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • LocationChengdu, China

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:03 PM

Dear Santa Shoggoth, I have been a good little cultist all year and even drove an investigator nuts. Also your lap is bubbly and tried to eat me last time I sat on it.

I have most of the Cthulhu books, though not any monographs printed after Feb of this year and ordered a snazzy set of Q-Workshop dice, if they ever come in.

I'm about to run away to China so I can't carry much with me. I do however love Rooibos tea and things that teach me how to do things.

#51 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:23 PM

While I don't have everything for CoC, I'm open to whatever someone wants to send. Last year it was chocolate and teas. :)

If you are at a loss- when I travel I try to find a collection of local ghost stories. I've a list here to show you what sort of books I tend to pick up. I'd love something of the kind from where my Soggotto Secretto is from.

#52 cpt_machine

cpt_machine

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • LocationDoncaster, UK

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:38 PM

Dear Secret Shoggoth

I've gotten pretty much every single CoC book I'll ever need but I'm lacking in source material, could you see your way to sending me a horror movie or book?

Failing that a plushy cthulhu :D

#53 kindermord

kindermord

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:37 PM

I'd be perfectly happy with whatever my SS sends me. I have one present in hand, that I picked up during the summer, in expectation of SS. I will actually eat my hat if they have it already.

Here is my librarything catalogue listing all entries for Cthulhu in case you'd rather not chance doubling up.

http://www.libraryth...SCiQtlQJEMGaPGq

Happy Secret Shoggothing!

Regards,

Eamon.

P.S. When do we get the name of our SS?
"All things are from God; and above all, reason and imagination and the great gifts of the mind. They are good in themselves; and we must not altogether forget their origin even in their perversion." - GKC

#54 andyb

andyb

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

I should be fairly easy to find something for. I haven't bought any new Cthulhu roleplaying stuff since 2002! (I've got lots of the early stuff but nothing recent.) The most up to date books I have are Dunwich, Goatswood & Keeper's Compendium 2 - so anything from the last four years would be wonderful.

I do have a large mythos/horror/ghost story collection - finding an available mythos book that I haven't got might be difficult.

I've a few ideas about what I can feed to my shoggoth - I'm looking forward to finding out who I've got so can find something appropriate.

#55 EdwardPickmanDerby

EdwardPickmanDerby

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:23 PM

As jabonko said, this is a very weird to do.
What I have:
Call of Cthulhu d20, Call of Cthulhu 5.6, Delta Green, Delta Green: Countdown, Delta Green: Eyes Only, Secrets of San Francisco, Miskatonic University, Kingsport, Dunwich, Dreamlands, Tatters of the King, Arkham Horror, Cthulhu Invictus, Cthulhu Live, Cthulhu Live: Delta Green, Cthulhu Live: Lost Souls, the HPLHS Call of Cthulhu film, all the Worlds of Cthulhu, a couple of The Black Seals, and too many of the Chaosium Call of Cthulhu fiction books to name.
What would be nice:
MULA's besides Cthulhu Invicutus
Appealing sourcebooks
Atmospheric Music
Homemade things are good
Um I dunno, I'm sure what you come up with will be just fine.

Merry Yithmas
Its not whether you live or die, its how you go insane.

#56 CAThompson

CAThompson

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • LocationChengdu, China

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

If you come to the chatroom RIGHT NOW, you too can roll dice to see who gets who.

#57 CAThompson

CAThompson

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • LocationChengdu, China

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:36 PM

The dice have been rolled, expect your shipping orders within three hours.

#58 MrFilthyIke

MrFilthyIke

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:08 AM

The dice have been rolled, expect your shipping orders within three hours.

Sweet, can't wait. :)
"The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be. Not in the spaces we
know, but between them, They walk serene and primal, undimensioned and to us unseen."

#59 CAThompson

CAThompson

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • LocationChengdu, China

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:36 AM

And I've sent off the names to everyone's yogmail. Good luck and happy shipping. Some of the people have posted things they already have or what they're looking for so that's a start.

#60 swj719

swj719

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:07 AM

Now, time for people to link their Amazon list, or post a wish list...
I have the heart of a child.

I keep it in a jar next to my computer...