Photo
- - - - -

The last Lovecraft(ian) film you watched...

Film

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#41 Nebulous

Nebulous

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:22 PM

The Thing (Carpenter's remake)
Dreams in the Witch House (hour long Masters of Horror)
From Beyond (same director as above, Stuart Gordon)
Re-Animator (Stuart Gordon again)

um...

Oh, someone else mentioned EVENT HORIZON which in many ways was close to being a classic horror film, but sort of drops the ball by the end and falls short. However, if you like horror in space i would still recommend Event Horizon. It deals with otherwordly dimensions.

#42 Guest_squashua_*

Guest_squashua_*

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:20 PM

I've mentioned Event Horizon multiple times.

It's essentially Hellraiser in space.

I've read rumors that it was supposed to be Warhammer 40k the prequel movie.

#43 Guest_squashua_*

Guest_squashua_*

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:49 PM

Any of you crazy kids going to go out and watch "The Ruins"?

Though the commercials make it look like generic schlock horror fare, I hear it's actually garnered some pretty good reviews, so it might have hope.

#44 Cousteau

Cousteau

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationOslo

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:56 AM

Death Tunnel - Not the best movie perhaps. Maybe even, dare I say, c**p, but it could still give some decent scenario-ideas.

#45 ThothAmon

ThothAmon

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:28 PM

The Host - Notable for the insane reaction of the authorities i.e. drilling the skull of a living subject to look for a non-existent virus, all to keep up the cover story! A highly-recommended monster movie.

Doom - Terrible non-Lovecraftian film but interesting plot device i.e. a retrovirus that can selectively mutate victims depending on whether they are inherently good or evil 8O

Jeepers Creepers 2 - Hackneyed plot with a seasonal twist. Replace the monster with a Byakhee (or the family from The Lurking Fear) and you have a Blood Brothers / Delta Green scenario ready to go...
Cheers.

Peter.

#46 submitswfa

submitswfa

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

I recently watched 2 lesser-known movies that are not Lovecraftian, but very Call of Cthulhu-like in their intrigue and subject

One is "Outpost", a British/Irish modern-day movie about some mercenaries who run afoul of some nasty Nazi experiment

The other is "Insanitarium", about a dude who pretends to be insane in order to get comitted to an asylum where his insane sister is held in order to "rescue" her. But once inside, he finds out some nasty experiments are going on, and that he might actually be insane/.

#47 jabonko

jabonko

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

I finally got around to seeing Herbert West: Reanimator. Gotta say in all honesty, I didn't much care for it. Oh well. I only spent $2 on the DVD (including a neon green highlighter shaped like a syringe: sure to be a prop come Halloween-time).

A coworker just lent me The Dunwich Horror. So I'll be watching that soon!

#48 Guest_squashua_*

Guest_squashua_*

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:40 PM

Cloverfield was fun. I enjoyed it, and after finding out the nature of the beast via the commentary (though I knew it from the post-release interviews), I took all of the beast's actions into a completely different light. I don't know what "plot holes" some of the complainers were complaining about.

The wife tried to watch it, but got ill right at the start of the Brooklyn Bridge scene near the beginning due to shaky-cam syndrome combined with her inability to be on a boat for more than 1 minute without the old heave-ho.

#49 malcojones

malcojones

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:26 AM

I've now seen Dead Birds, mentioned earlier in the thread, and it certainly has its moments.

Ultimately its not a great film because it doesn't know what to do with its characters. It's sort of a Civil War set TPK.

I think, as written, there's probably a lot more HPL than made it to the screen.

Watching the DVD extras, I liked the filmmakers less and less and would have much enjoyed a postmodern version that did away with them.

But it is a suggestive setting and plot, with some scary images. Best, malcojones

#50 Dr_Locrian

Dr_Locrian

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:00 AM

I've always said that the best Lovecraftian films haven't been direct adaptations, but movies that truly recreate the feel of encountering the unknown. Definitely the top 2:

Alien

Carpenter's The Thing

And I'll also echo Ramsey Campbell's opinion that The Blair Witch Project is quite a good Lovecraftian film as well.

#51 Blaggard

Blaggard

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:46 AM

A few to add to the list;

Severance; Not exactly Lovecraftian but would be a good Cthulhu Now intoductary scenario with a few tweaks. Add a number of Npcs for some grisly death discoveries.

Candyman; the first one. Nice and creepy with the "investigator" slowly losing their grip on reality as the story progresses.
The Serpent and the Rainbow; for similar reasons to Candyman, though I don't think it's as good. Ditto for Lair of the White Worm for it's isolated cult feel.
Mr Frost; Not for the plot of the film, which is actually pretty good but for some tips on portraying insanity that isn't just wibbling and drooling (kudos to Jeff Goldblum).

Southern Comfort; A great film in it's own right but could so easily be translated for gameplay. Make the hillbillies cultists or hybrids. You could even have the players as National Guardsmen. As I recall, they were on exercise in the swamps and, although they had weapons, didn't have any live ammunition. Oh dear! :twisted:
“Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad” Aldous Huxley.

#52 Rusty-Spoon

Rusty-Spoon

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:12 PM

Only one for night-owls in the U.K., but showing tonight on Zone Horror is The Halfway House which is without doubt the worst Lovecraft film I have ever seen! :wink:
Richard: Door, don't do it, don't set it free - we don't matter!
Marquis de Carabas: Actually I matter very much, but I have to agree - don't do it.
NEVERWHERE.

#53 thewordwasaphex

thewordwasaphex

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:56 PM

Alien and Carpenter's The Thing are seconded, very loudly, by me.

I saw Dead Birds a while ago, and it's a little bit of a letdown really. It promises a lot and doesn't really run with it.

R-Point (a Korean film) feels decidedly Lovecraftian to me.

Dagon was pants! Although the Hotel Escape sequence was pretty well done.

Oh, and Ghostbusters is delightfully Lovecraftian too. Especially the Gatekeeper...
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"

I did this:
http://www.yog-sotho...der=asc&start=0

#54 DaveC

DaveC

Master

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:30 PM

I just watched HPLHS's The Call of Cthulhu last night,and I enjoyed it very much!

The mood of impending discovery and doom just felt 'right' to me,and the film was beautifully shot.

Two tentacles up! :D

#55 darryll

darryll

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:53 PM

I enjoyed it to. I thought the period details and atmosphere were great. It was all good until the end. I thought they dropped the ball on the depiction of Cthulhu himself. The stop-motion animation just did not work and the model was kinda' cheesy looking. I felt they(the filmmakers) would have been better served to have used a highly detailed puppet; a technique similar to the Rankor monster in Return of the Jedi. Shot from dramatic angles with appropriate lighting Cthulhu could have been truly huge and menacing looking. But like I said, overall it was very enjoyable and an admirable effort. I'm really looking forward to Whisperer in Darkness.
"Have with you, at all times, iron that cuts, polished silver, a sprig of mistletoe, and a loaded pistol."

#56 gill-christless

gill-christless

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:21 PM

I just purchased the Hammer classic 'Quatermass and the Pit', which despite it's flaws mainly imposed by it's budget, is highly Lovecraftian.

Did anyone else notice mighty Cthulhu himself as one of the most evil creatures from the dark side of Imaginationland in the three part episode of South Park?
i cannot close my eyes no more

#57 thewordwasaphex

thewordwasaphex

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:34 PM

Yep! I nearly fell off my chair! Saying that, you'd expect Trey Parker and Matt Stone to be RP'ers just from the amount of RP references they cram in, and from the way they come across in interviews.

"I'a Dagon, you guys... I'm going home."

I did this:

#58 gill-christless

gill-christless

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:42 PM

Yep! I nearly fell off my chair! Saying that, you'd expect Trey Parker and Matt Stone to be RP'ers just from the amount of RP references they cram in, and from the way they come across in interviews.

"I'a Dagon, you guys... I'm going home."

"Jews can't be paladins!" being my favourite!"
i cannot close my eyes no more

#59 thewordwasaphex

thewordwasaphex

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:46 AM

That WoW episode was hilarious. I kept expecting more obscure references - I was definately waiting for Zezima, the legendary RuneScape player to pop up and get owned - but, even without them, I still ended up laughing so hard it hurt!

I did this:

#60 Danial

Danial

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:20 AM

I recently watched Necronomicon, From Beyond, and Hemoglobin. I thought Necronomicon was a bit of fun, but nothing overly amazing. From Beyond did not impress me at all, which was disappointing considering how much I'd heard people praise it. Lastly, Hemoglobin was a bareable watch but again was nothing special.

My favourite Lovecraftian film of all time is easily The Thing!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Film