Photo
- - - - -

The last Lovecraft(ian) film you watched...

Film

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#381 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

I have a bit of a habit, when watching anything in the horror genre, to see Lovecraftian elements. Regardless of whether the movie itself was truly Lovecraftian. For example, the family in Get Out were named Armitage, albeit with a bit of an accent applied to it that you don't normally hear. Much in the same way that any piece of fantasy fiction might tip its hat to Tolkien either directly or implicitly, a lot of horror will do the same with Lovecraft, perhaps more so in his case.

This all said, last night I watched We Are Still Here.

Spoiler

My interest in the Mythos has been a bit more geared up lately (hence joining the forum), so I dug out a collection of HPL short movies, one of which includes Rough Magicks. A pilot for what would have been a Delta Green style show. Low budget but very fun.

Prior to that, and inarguably so, is The Void. I quite enjoyed the movie, both the plot and how it went for practical effects over CGI.

Very much liked We Are Still Here and can see a CoC RPG connection if not a straight HPL connection.

Edited by Mysterioso, 29 September 2017 - 08:30 PM.

#382 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

We're headed to the Portland HPL Film Fest in a couple of days. I'll come back and give a report on what we saw next week. Looks like there's potentially a lot of good shorts and feature lengths again this year.

Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#383 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:51 AM

Searched the thread and it does not seem that anyone has mentioned this year's Get Out.  I suspect most people who post here would enjoy it as it plays out in many ways like how we'd like a game of CoC to play out.

#384 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:41 AM

Those of you interested in seeing some classic movies that are almost Lovecraftian in tone and who get Turner Classic Movies (TCM) might be able to catch these over the next couple days leading into Halloween:

• The Innocents (1961) - A Gothic horror movie classic based on Henry James' "Turn of the Screw".  "In The Turn of the Screw Henry James triumphs over his inevitable pomposity and prolixity sufficiently well to create a truly potent air of sinister menace; depicting the hideous influence of two dead and evil servants, Peter Quint and the governess Miss Jessel, over a small boy and girl who had been under their care. James is perhaps too diffuse, too unctuously urbane, and too much addicted to subtleties of speech to realise fully all the wild and devastating horror in his situations; but for all that there is a rare and mounting tide of fright, culminating in the death of the little boy, which gives the novelette a permanent place in its special class." - HPL
  • Diary of a Madman (1963) - Vincent Price starring in an adaptation of Guy DeMaupassant's "The Horla", one of the many stories that influenced H.P. Lovecraft... "Relating the advent in France of an invisible being who lives on water and milk, sways the minds of others, and seems to be the vanguard of a horde of extra-terrestrial organisms arrived on earth to subjugate and overwhelm mankind, this tense narrative is perhaps without peer in its particular department." - HPL
  • Curse of the Demon (1957, AKA Night of the Demon) - Based on the M.R. James story about a skeptic who falls afoul of an evil cultist; another story that influenced Lovecraft.  "Dr. James, for all his light touch, evokes fright and hideousness in their most shocking forms; and will certainly stand as one of the few really creative masters in his darksome province...." - HPL
  • Carnival of Souls (1962) - Cult favorite and early example of the modern "zombie movie", about a young woman who begins seeing a cult of sinister ghouls lurking around an abandoned fairground soon after a car accident.
  • Little Shop of Horrors (1960) - Morbid comedy by Roger Corman about an anxious loser on Skid Row who discovers a hypnotic new variety of carnivorous plant.
  • Village of the Damned (1961) - Sci-fi/Horror classic based on John Wyndham's "The Midwich Cuckoos", about a brood of creepy children born in a small English village after the villagers wake up from a mysterious period of unconsciousness and lost time.
  • The Brood (1979) - Chock full of David Cronenberg's signiture body horror, a story about a woman undergoes a bizarre experimental treatment for depression and anxiety which involves giving physical form to negative emotions.
  • Poltergeist (1982) - Classic 1980s haunted house story, with the house haunted by something only a step or two away from a Lovecraftian horror, unsettlingly appearing in an everyday suburban tract house....
  • The Haunting (1963) - Gothic horror classic based on Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House", one of the inspirations for the classic CoC scenario, "The Haunting"; Jackson's eerie narration, reproduced faithfully in the movie, does a better job at hinting at the diseased angles and spaces of Lovecraft's cosmic horror than most movies based directly on Lovecraft's stories....

I've enjoyed watching most of the older movies here from the 1950s and 1960s many times since childhood and recommend those particularly highly, so hopefully there are more treats here for you than tricks, and hopefully there are one or two movies there that are new to you :)

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#385 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:43 AM

@Mysterioso excellent suggestion and quickly seconded! Get Out was a VERY pleasant surprise!

Those of you interested in seeing some classic movies that are almost Lovecraftian in tone and who get Turner Classic Movies (TCM) might be able to catch these over the next couple days leading into Halloween:

• The Innocents (1961) - A Gothic horror movie classic based on Henry James' "Turn of the Screw".  "In The Turn of the Screw Henry James triumphs over his inevitable pomposity and prolixity sufficiently well to create a truly potent air of sinister menace; depicting the hideous influence of two dead and evil servants, Peter Quint and the governess Miss Jessel, over a small boy and girl who had been under their care. James is perhaps too diffuse, too unctuously urbane, and too much addicted to subtleties of speech to realise fully all the wild and devastating horror in his situations; but for all that there is a rare and mounting tide of fright, culminating in the death of the little boy, which gives the novelette a permanent place in its special class." - HPL
  • Diary of a Madman (1963) - Vincent Price starring in an adaptation of Guy DeMaupassant's "The Horla", one of the many stories that influenced H.P. Lovecraft... "Relating the advent in France of an invisible being who lives on water and milk, sways the minds of others, and seems to be the vanguard of a horde of extra-terrestrial organisms arrived on earth to subjugate and overwhelm mankind, this tense narrative is perhaps without peer in its particular department." - HPL
  • Curse of the Demon (1957, AKA Night of the Demon) - Based on the M.R. James story about a skeptic who falls afoul of an evil cultist; another story that influenced Lovecraft.  "Dr. James, for all his light touch, evokes fright and hideousness in their most shocking forms; and will certainly stand as one of the few really creative masters in his darksome province...." - HPL
  • Carnival of Souls (1962) - Cult favorite and early example of the modern "zombie movie", about a young woman who begins seeing a cult of sinister ghouls lurking around an abandoned fairground soon after a car accident.
  • Little Shop of Horrors (1960) - Morbid comedy by Roger Corman about an anxious loser on Skid Row who discovers a hypnotic new variety of carnivorous plant.
  • Village of the Damned (1961) - Sci-fi/Horror classic based on John Wyndham's "The Midwich Cuckoos", about a brood of creepy children born in a small English village after the villagers wake up from a mysterious period of unconsciousness and lost time.
  • The Brood (1979) - Chock full of David Cronenberg's signiture body horror, a story about a woman undergoes a bizarre experimental treatment for depression and anxiety which involves giving physical form to negative emotions.
  • Poltergeist (1982) - Classic 1980s haunted house story, with the house haunted by something only a step or two away from a Lovecraftian horror, unsettlingly appearing in an everyday suburban tract house....
  • The Haunting (1963) - Gothic horror classic based on Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House", one of the inspirations for the classic CoC scenario, "The Haunting"; Jackson's eerie narration, reproduced faithfully in the movie, does a better job at hinting at the diseased angles and spaces of Lovecraft's cosmic horror than most movies based directly on Lovecraft's stories....

I've enjoyed watching most of the older movies here from the 1950s and 1960s many times since childhood and recommend those particularly highly, so hopefully there are more treats here for you than tricks, and hopefully there are one or two movies there that are new to you :)

Should have mentioned earlier, Excellent list my friend! Some of those classics are so nice and moody.

Others like The Brood are often overlooked. Kept me going this All Hallows Eve for certain!

The Optimist in me says we live in the best of all possible worlds...The Pessimist in me believes this is true.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Film