Photo
- - - - -

The last Lovecraft(ian) film you watched...

Film

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#21 Kadath

Kadath

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:29 PM

My last Mythos related movie would be GDT's Hellboy - just check out the special effects on those beasties, and a star appearance of Di Vermiis Mysteris (sp?). Lovecraft in all but the license and a demon superhero in the storyline.

I am extremely excited about GDT's planned At the Mountains of Madness movie, its going to be superb IMO. In a way I hope the special effects team from Pirates of the Carribean get involved as they are long time Cthulhu fans and as can be seen fron Davy Jones' wiggly chin, really good at doing tentacles!

That aside the last one i watched would have been Dagon. I must make some time to watch the HPLHS CoC. Oh and i watched the trailer for The Whisperer in the darkness last night - which succeeded in making me jump. But I am a wuss.

Kadath

#22 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne

Master

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:35 PM

Since The lurking fear was mentioned here i thought i should mention Hemoglobin.

The main character suffers from a disease that runs in his family and in hope of finding a cure goes looking for his relatives hoping they have some sort of cure for it. As it turns out his relatives are nowadays a bunch of inbred deformed canibals living in tunnels under a town causing all kind of troubles.

Basically the story has quite a bit in common with the storie "the lurking fear", i don't think anything from the mythos are mentioned but it sure has a mythos feeling to it.

Anyway i found it pretty entertaining and worth watching.
It got a horrible rating over at imdb thou, but then imdb ratings shouldn't be taken to seriously.

#23 Toad-Killer-dog

Toad-Killer-dog

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

Hmm, the last good Lovecraft movie I saw was The Resurected, suprisingly good for a modern update of a Lovecraft story.

It had a very CoC rpg like feel to it, you be the judge if thats a good thing in a movie or not. 8)
And so we fight the tide of years. Until our hearts are stained with tears and lost and unknowing loves are all we have left to hold dear. Save a sea of yester years, grown cold, grown still.

#24 CharlesDexterWard

CharlesDexterWard

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:16 PM

Since The lurking fear was mentioned here i thought i should mention Hemoglobin.

<snip>

It got a horrible rating over at imdb thou, but then imdb ratings shouldn't be taken to seriously.

It's also been released as "The Breed" (as on the IMDB) and "The Descendant" (the title under which I saw it on cable a few years back).

Sometimes you have to look extra hard to find the obscure films. :)
"He stumbled on things no mortal ought ever to know, and reached back through the years as no one ever should reach; and something came out of those years to engulf him." - H. P. Lovecraft, 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward'

#25 Mr_Lin

Mr_Lin

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:15 PM

Last Lovecraftian thing I saw was Quatermass, by the BBC, as endorsed by Sandy P...

I watched Quatermass 2 a few days ago. The monsters at the end are very Lovecraftian (quite Shoggoth like I thought). It's also a major influence on the British section of Delta Green: Countdown. Really good film although I gather Nigel Kneale wasn't over impressed. Would quite like to see the TV series version now.
Vot is point?

#26 Nightbrother

Nightbrother

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:30 PM

I chanced upon Hemoglobin some years back, rented it on a whim and found it to be watchable. Some of the scenes can be a little disturbing, if you'll leave a good portion of disbelief at the doorstep. The lighthouse scene near the end can be particularly upsetting, I found. Sometimes certain movies just influence some people more than others.

Back when I rented Hemoglobin, I also met a Polish acquaintance at the video store where a friend and I were browsing and subsequently rented Hemoglobin. The Danish translation was 'Urent Blod' (Unclean Blood), and our Polish acquaintance, who is really a great guy, not a native Dane nor too familiar with our language, exclaimed loudly, upon seeing the title: 'Urrent Blood!', in an English accent, and that left us all in stitches, him too after we explained it. I'm not sure what an 'Urrent' is either. :D

We then turn the cover over and notice the original title, upon where our Polish friend loudly says: 'Hemogoblin!?', causing stomach cramps all 'round.
"Hargle Bargle Blargle Blargh!" - Squashua (made me laugh muchly)

#27 jabonko

jabonko

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:38 AM

The last Lovecraftian film I watched was The Orphanage. It was Lovecraftian in that it was a portrait of a woman's descent into madness and was set near an ocean. No tentacled beasties, though.

#28 Foreshadow

Foreshadow

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

I have seen a few. Liked them all. It amazes me at how so many people out there just don't understand the Cthulu mythos that H.P portrayed for us all. Maybe he really did see cthulu in his drugged stupors up until his death. I for one would like to know what lies under the miles of ice in the middle of Antarctica... :twisted:

#29 jabonko

jabonko

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:29 PM

I was under the general impression that HPL was not a habitual user of drugs and thus was not writing under such a stupor, but rather that he was plagued (blessed?) with nightmares, phobias, and an extremely bizarre youth and life.

#30 Karloff

Karloff

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:44 AM

I'm not sure whether you could honestly call The Red Shoes a Cthuluoid movie, as it lacks a lot of the elements that might be considered traditional HPL trademarks. However I rate it highly, as an exploration of madness - particularly as you get closer to the end.

It's a tricky one. There's a lot of elements that could be considered formulaic, and it's fair to say that it nicks a few plot ideas from Dark Water, (which on the whole is probably the better movie). What held it together for me was the central character; but I can't say too much more without giving away large chunks of plot. That's never a good thing to do. ;)

#31 JoeViturbo

JoeViturbo

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:28 AM

I watched Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" and "The Host" over the weekend. I loved both very much.
Good evening. As a duly designated representative of the City, County, and State of New York, I order you to cease any, and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.

#32 Spiog

Spiog

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:22 AM

Just seen a film called 'Dead Birds', blood splattered old tomes and gates to other dimensions…
Didn’t quite get the connection between the title of the movie and the movie itself though.
Spiog.
Of course I’m out of my mind
It’s a dark and scary place

#33 Foreshadow

Foreshadow

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:36 AM

I was under the general impression that HPL was not a habitual user of drugs and thus was not writing under such a stupor, but rather that he was plagued (blessed?) with nightmares, phobias, and an extremely bizarre youth and life.

Science fiction book club. Andrew Wheeler. H.P. Lovecrafts' Black Seas of Infinity. This man is an editor at the SFBC.

H.P. Lovecraft 1890-1937. Died from intestinal cancer. Was taking opium for pain, hence the wild dreams and hallucinations. This is something I know is true, but I cannot seem to find the part in the book that explains it all exactly.

An excerpt from the rear flap of the book;
H.P. Lovecraft is the best known and most studied American horror writer of the early 20 th century. His influence on the field is still felt today. more than 60 years after his death. He lived and worked primarily in Providence, Rhode Island, and prided himself on his aristocratic lineage. He was a major force in amateur journalism and a tireless correspondent, whose selected letters equal his published fiction and whose total letters dwarf all else that he wrote. he was, in all his idiosyncratic, crotchety glory, a true American original. :roll:

#34 FJR

FJR

Master

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:59 AM

I watched John Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness the other evening (with my love).
Now, he has directed 3 of my most-loved films (The Fog, The Thing, Halloween), but it certainly wasn't in their league. The central idea is quite Lovecraftian - the 'scientising/materialising' of the Christian mythology, and claiming that all this talk of spirits/souls/angels etc. was really guff made up for silly/gullible people, and in fact, the real bad thing is simply some strange, developing, gloopy stuff which wishes us all unwell, something distinctly material (and what that means exactly is of course another question).
It has its moments, and the soundtrack is a nice piece of Carpenter apprehension-building, if not especially memorable.
The commentary on the dvd by Carpenter (and pal) is amusing and occasionally interesting - though he doesn't remember too much about it at times, and doesn't have much more idea of what is going on, or has happened, 'outside the camera frame', so to speak, than you or I. A film set free into the wide open seas of hermeneutics by the author (who we all know is dead anyway, as various scintillating French thinkers informed us in their 60s writings).
Best,
Francis

#35 Iohannes

Iohannes

Knight of the Outer Void

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:01 AM

Recently got, have watched repeatedly, and get a huge kick from HPLHS's The Call of Cthulhu. (Ditto listening to their "radio play" At the Mountains of Madness.)

Also still enjoy on re-watching: the Babylon 5 movie Thirdspace, which is Lovecraftian in both plot premise and monster shape -- though it really helps to be familiar with the TV series, as that established the setting and characters. B5 has dipped into the horror genre repeatedly, as in the movies River of Souls and (first half of) The Lost Tales.

Not quite Lovecraftian (except for being horrifying, like Prince of Darkness or the Hellraiser films) is another spacefaring movie, Event Horizon. The concept of another dimension containing hellish perils would be the commonality here.

#36 Cousteau

Cousteau

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationOslo

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:44 PM

Beyond the walls of sleep (?) - Not perhaps the best movie ever, a bit gory too, but it's so strange and alien that I found it quite scary all the same.

The music of Erich Zann - Great short movie (german or french, can't remember). Very nice atmosphere and follows the original story closely.

Dreams in the witch's house - Awesome! Freakish, scary and close to the original.

The Call of Cthulhu - I liked it, although it's perhaps not too great as a film in itself. Highly recommended though.

Dagon - A bit "Scream" in my opinion, but nice all the same.

#37 Henrik

Henrik

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron+
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:48 PM

The Dunwich Horror I saw a couple of years back. Very psychedelic. The movie is quite bad and the special effects are mostly poorly done. The intro is quite good though.

#38 Guest_squashua_*

Guest_squashua_*

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

Waiting on Netflix to deliver the "Bonus Disc" version of The Mist.

If you have Netflix and have not seen "The Mist" yet, make sure do get the Bonus Disc, not the main movie. The Bonus has the (preferred) black and white Director's cut version of the movie on it.

#39 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

Sadly I have a pile of Lovecraftian films to watch, but since they were gifts to my girlfriend and she still has not watched them, I am not in a position to do so.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#40 CitizenX

CitizenX

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

The Thing
The Host - Recently
The Mist (Steven King's) - Recently