Photo
- - - - -

The last Lovecraft(ian) film you watched...

Film

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#1 Unfilmable

Unfilmable

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:28 PM

Have you gone insane (or fell asleep) watching a film based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft (or one of his followers)?

If so (and if you're able), tell us all about it!

Craig

www.unfilmable.com
Cosmic Horror Cinema
www.ivanzuccon.com
Ivan Zuccon's Studio Interzona
The next generation in Italian Horror

#2 Unfilmable

Unfilmable

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:24 AM

I'll start...

The Crimson Robe by Russell Welch (2007)

I just watched this today, and it's one of the best short films (around 13 minutes) I've seen. It has great production values (the effects are really top notch) and there are some incredible shots/scenes. The film was shot in HD and is inspired by Dagon and The Shadow Over Innsmouth...

H.P. Lovecraft's The Tomb by Ulli Lommel (2007)

Couldn't tell you anything about this one. I tried 3 times, fell asleep 3 times...

Maybe I'll try again someday...
www.unfilmable.com
Cosmic Horror Cinema
www.ivanzuccon.com

#3 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationSerpent-haunted Ehssi-Keh, beside the Lake of the Mound

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:28 AM

Hey Unfilmable! A bunch of us watched Call of Cthulhu and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath for HPL's b-day. HPLHS' "CoC" got a very good reaction. "D-Q" received an "A" for effort. :)

#4 Xiphos

Xiphos

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:08 AM

Every time I try and watch anything from Lommel I tend to gravitate toward the idea that he's a two bit hack of a director. He's done several movies The Tomb being one of them and also E.A. Poe's The Raven and neither had much to do with the stories at all. Even for a B movie the special effects were crap and the story lines and characters were about as solid as a piece of notebook paper in a hurricane.
The last few Lovecraftian movies I saw that I considered to be worth a darn were these, Dreams in the Witch House directed by Stewart Gordon, Cigarette Burns directed by John Carpenter which though not Lovecraft by any means still was a very good watch and is also packaged with Dreams in the Witch House. And Black Cat which was also done by Stewart Gordon that one was great for a few reasons the story was awesome and Jeffery Combs playing Edgar Allen Poe.
just my two cents let me know what you think!
BTW all of these are on the Masters of Horror collection that Showtime is putting out. They have a few others that aren't Lovecraft related like Cigarette Burns that are absolutely wonderful.
If you have to explain, rationalize or justify what you are about to...
THEN YOU ARE WRONG!

#5 gill-christless

gill-christless

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:01 PM

Have you gone insane (or fell asleep) watching a film based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft (or one of his followers)?

If so (and if you're able), tell us all about it!

Craig

I have repeatedly fallen asleep to the ARTC productions of 'A Shadow Over Innsmouth', 'The Rats In The Walls', 'Pickman's Model' and 'The Mountains Of Madness', which despite their tweaks are awesome. I thought that John Carpenters 'In the Mouth Madness' was easily the best Lovecraftian film I've ever seen, 'Re-Animator' is something I watch monthly. And 'H.P. Lovecrafts Necronomicon' is just great fun too. Jeffery Combs is just the man!
i cannot close my eyes no more

#6 Unfilmable

Unfilmable

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:45 AM

Hey Unfilmable! A bunch of us watched Call of Cthulhu and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath for HPL's b-day. HPLHS' "CoC" got a very good reaction. "D-Q" received an "A" for effort. :)

CoC is a wonderful film of course, but I'm also very proud of Dream-Quest! If you look in the credits, you'll find my name among the assistant animators... :)

Craig
www.unfilmable.com
Cosmic Horror Cinema
www.ivanzuccon.com

#7 Unfilmable

Unfilmable

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:53 AM

Every time I try and watch anything from Lommel I tend to gravitate toward the idea that he's a two bit hack of a director. He's done several movies The Tomb being one of them and also E.A. Poe's The Raven and neither had much to do with the stories at all. Even for a B movie the special effects were cr*** and the story lines and characters were about as solid as a piece of notebook paper in a hurricane.
The last few Lovecraftian movies I saw that I considered to be worth a darn were these, Dreams in the Witch House directed by Stewart Gordon, Cigarette Burns directed by John Carpenter which though not Lovecraft by any means still was a very good watch and is also packaged with Dreams in the Witch House. And Black Cat which was also done by Stewart Gordon that one was great for a few reasons the story was awesome and Jeffery Combs playing Edgar Allen Poe.
just my two cents let me know what you think!
BTW all of these are on the Masters of Horror collection that Showtime is putting out. They have a few others that aren't Lovecraft related like Cigarette Burns that are absolutely wonderful.

I really enjoyed Dreams in the Witch House (I saw it at the HPLFF on the big screen!), and I thought the Black Cat was incredible! One of Stuart Gordon and Jeffery Combs best efforts...

Cigarette Burns is the best thing John Carpenter has done in years!

Craig
www.unfilmable.com
Cosmic Horror Cinema
www.ivanzuccon.com

#8 Unfilmable

Unfilmable

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:57 AM

I have repeatedly fallen asleep to the ARTC productions of 'A Shadow Over Innsmouth', 'The Rats In The Walls', 'Pickman's Model' and 'The Mountains Of Madness', which despite their tweaks are awesome. I thought that John Carpenters 'In the Mouth Madness' was easily the best Lovecraftian film I've ever seen, 'Re-Animator' is something I watch monthly. And 'H.P. Lovecrafts Necronomicon' is just great fun too. Jeffery Combs is just the man!

I've not heard any of the ARTC productions, but I'd like to check them out...

Re-Animator is a classic and has been my favorite horror film since I first saw it in the mid 80's!

Craig
www.unfilmable.com
Cosmic Horror Cinema
www.ivanzuccon.com

#9 Unfilmable

Unfilmable

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:02 AM

Watched Michael Granberry's stop-motion animated adaptation of From Beyond last night...

A great short film (and HPLFF award winner), and easily the best adaptation of From Beyond yet...

Craig
www.unfilmable.com
Cosmic Horror Cinema
www.ivanzuccon.com

#10 gill-christless

gill-christless

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:48 PM

I've not heard any of the ARTC productions, but I'd like to check them out...

Re-Animator is a classic and has been my favorite horror film since I first saw it in the mid 80's
Craig

In reference to th ARTC productions You will love them! i don't know how the copyright deamons would react to me giving them to PoC, (granted he probably has them!) but i also have Jeffery Combs reading the abridged (but only slightly abridged) Re-Animator audio book which is utterly tremendous!! :D
I also fell asleep to that terrbile seventies film version of the Dunwich Horror, well I cried so much that i fell asleep anyway. :cry:
i cannot close my eyes no more

#11 Thorulfr

Thorulfr

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:04 PM

The last two were the HPLHS silent 'Call of Cthulhu', and the BBC TV pilot 'Rough Magic' What a pity that show wasn't picked up.

I'm still waiting for the film 'Experiment 17.'

#12 Unfilmable

Unfilmable

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

The last two were the HPLHS silent 'Call of Cthulhu', and the BBC TV pilot 'Rough Magic' What a pity that show wasn't picked up.

I'm still waiting for the film 'Experiment 17.'

You can find Experiment 17 here on Yog-Sothoth.com!

http://www.yog-sotho...download&cid=23

Filmmaker Christian Matzke has finished Experiment 18, and it will premiere at next months H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival...

Craig
www.unfilmable.com
Cosmic Horror Cinema
www.ivanzuccon.com

#13 North73

North73

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:20 PM

Last Lovecraftian thing I saw was Quatermass, by the BBC, as endorsed by Sandy P..get them all now, if you don't know what i'm talking about...plenty of higly upsetting meat there. All the more terrifying in the black and white incarnation. Just plain wrong...and obviously, everyone should own Dagon.
Other than that - if you are in the UK, pick up BBCs 'Children Of The Stones'...it's Wickerman lite, but effective. And I would say 'Edge Of Darkness' , also BBC, is worth a punt, especially if you are running DG.

#14 trancejeremy

trancejeremy

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:18 PM

It's not really Cthulhu mythos, but the Japanese horror movie "Ghost Train" has a main character in it who is applying to go to college at Miskatonic University.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0819839/

King of a boring movie though, for the most part, though some nice imagery, and the lead character is pretty cute.

#15 DrVincent

DrVincent

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:06 AM

Heh, heh just finished watching Re-Animator. Classic 1980's HPL, squishy, sloppy, campy horror at its best. I cant wait to see the forth installment in the series "house of Re-Animator" I think is next.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0804493/

Cheers,

Dr. V
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity because our realtor was a lying, cheating, crazy, cultist jerk.

#16 Cthonian

Cthonian

Neophyte

• 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:29 PM

:?

I was trying really hard to enjoy "The Lurking Fear" a few months ago. The ghouls were pretty cool...

But one film that I considder to be the ultimate abomination was "Cthulhu Mansion" which, as far as I can tell, has absolutely nothing to do with Cthulhu...Anyone seen it?

#17 cpt_machine

cpt_machine

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationDoncaster, UK

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:05 AM

The last one I've seen is Hellraiser 5 which is the best of the series (bar the first of course) in the series.

The tale of a magical box that summons demons to take you beyond mortal experience is a pretty powerful one and in the end, most who take up the offer are driven to madness or worse and take by it and made into something foul and sinster.

#18 DrVincent

DrVincent

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:40 AM

Regarding "Cthulhu Mansion" yes I have seen it and unfortunately much like things born of the mythos, once seen can not be unseen. Ahhhhhgggguuu!!!! my eyes, my eyes, stop me before I claw them out of my head!!!!!
Yes this movie is a big stinker and not even worth watching just to say you did. :mrgreen:
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity because our realtor was a lying, cheating, crazy, cultist jerk.

#19 TrippyHippy

TrippyHippy

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:11 AM

Well, it worked with a different mythos, but I thought Pan's Labrynth was a masterful Lovecraftian experience.

#20 David_Hallett

David_Hallett

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:10 PM

Well, it worked with a different mythos, but I thought Pan's Labrynth was a masterful Lovecraftian experience.

Certainly a great film. Not sure whether I'd call it Lovecraftian...probably not, though YMMV. Inspiring viewing for any Keeper though, especially as an object lesson in how to maintain two parallel versions of reality without asserting the primacy of either. Highly recommended!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Film