yock's Lovecraftathon: The Street
Posted by yockenthwaite , 16 May 2017 · 549 views
Mainly just jotting down notes this time.
- Crikey he really likes Britain (yes I already knew) - the "Blessed Isles"
- Intriguing sense of space evolving over time, though as I read I can't help but think of the "Anno" series of city-building computer video games ...
- I'm also thinking of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" and incomers bringing their ideologies with them
- Also nice evocation of cultural improvement of the locality
- Oh but I really don't like the way it's going with "New kinds of faces appeared in the Street, swarthy, sinister faces with furtive eyes and odd features, whose owners spoke unfamiliar words ..." Mmmm!
- He's also not very keen on France, I assume: "a dynasty had collapsed, and its degenerate subjects were flocking with dubious intent to the Western Land"
- And more: "Swarthy and sinister were most of the strangers"